Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Reidyn

Just complaining about ConXion...

How frustrating. I finally receive the RC-2 download notice, get home, start the download, and..... get 9-11k/s. This is far below the 1,300k/s that I have seen a time or two, the 200-400k/s that I get on a regular basis, and the 100k/s that I got while downloading RC-1. After 18MB, it freezes, never to download another single byte for the next hour or so. I was pretty sure that it's hosed at this point, so I kill it and restart. No resume capability exists. Fine, I'll just lose the time that I have just apparently lost in the first try, so I hit "start". User ID, password, GO..... Or not.

"Invalid Login" error. Try over and over again. Same deal. Check the FAQ, and it says that this happens when I've exceeded my maximum number of download attempts. What a pain in the a$$. The solution? Go fill out a form, and it'll be processed in the order in which it was received. Grrrrrrrr.....

I hope that .NET is going to be served on more robust equipment and/or sufficient bandwidth. I'd hate to be needing something on a deadline and find that their crap is overloaded.

I downloaded it yesterday from here in the UK and got it at around 200k/sec from my company LAN - I feel they were throttling me or I could have got it quicker - you guys probably just hit the servers at the same time as everyone else and they were just so busy.

I downloaded yesterday at about 9:30am, that would have made it what, 5:00am in the US -- nice and quiet.

Just a question - how did you manage to get access to the download from the UK - I thought it was only available to people in the US/Canada?

I'm bored of waiting for my CD to arrive from MS (see this thread) and would love to be able to get my hands on XP.

Do tell, please!

Thanks

AndyF

I've been beta testing WinXP for a while now.

Logged in to my e-mail at work yesterday to find the following e-mail from Microsoft Beta Mailing Service2:

**Do not reply as this email is being sent to you from an un-monitored account. **

Paul Rawlings

BetaID: As if I would

Password: be so silly to leave these visible!

Dear Customer,

We are excited to announce availability of Microsoft® Windows® XP RC2 for download on http://windowsbeta.microsoft.com! The final retail release of Windows XP is imminent, and as a result, we ask that you install RC2 if you are able. This build is available to all beta testers for download, however it will not be sent out on CD. RC2 is simply a final checkpoint on the way to the final RTM of Windows XP. We are close to release and want to continue to get feedback, but there will be very few if any significant changes between RC2 and RTM. For those that don’t have the bandwidth or capability to download RC2, please keep testing and using RC1 – it’s not that different and your longer-term testing is still valuable.

<Snip the rest>

I was actually sent the Beta2 & RC1 CD's, I got them through the door while a lot of people on this board will still saying they couldn't download it!

Obviously MS like me a lot smile

BladeRunner

I wouldn't even dream that you would give out your username and password - I'm an honest kind of a guy :P

It was more about how you managed to get download access - and now it all makes sense - you're a beta tester.

Us mere motrals can't get download access from the UK - so we're stuck here twiddlng our thumbs, waiting for MS to get off it's arse and sort the CDs out...while the rest of the world gets to revel in the glorious technicolour screens of XP...

Not that I'm jealous or anything wink

AndyF

Well the strange thing is that I actually got onto the beta test very, very easily.

Just as the first WinXP Beta's were coming out I sent an e-mail to betareq@microsoft.com

Just said, almost in the exact words:

We run an AD domain at work and I'd like to be able to set-up a seperate sub-domain running WinXP along with a couple of WinXP Professional workstations on the main network to see if there are any potential problems or issues and to see if WinXP can offer us anything new.

2 Days later I get what looks like a standard e-mail:

"Thanks for your e-mail, blah blah blah, we'll contact you should you be accepted, blah, blah blah"

A day after that I get what looks like a more personal e-mail with BetaID's and passwords etc.

I was sitting here reading the forums, seeing threads like 'When is Beta2 going to be available for download'

As those threads appeared I actually had on my desk Beta 2 CD's for WinXP Professional, Server & Advanced Server.

So, note to all, once the next MS OS developments are official, drop them a line, they are always happy to take on extra beta testers.

I think it helped that I was kind of requesting on behalf of a company and gave them all the details etc.

That way they knew what they were sending me wouldn't appear on a warze site the next day.