Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hollywood63

Open Office on Redhat 9

Is there any reason of incompatibilty with OO 1.1 and RH 9. I have installed it using synaptic and when I start up my box I get a half dozen or so errors and the user screen has rectangular boxes in the with unreconizable icons/shapes in them. All of the error codes have to do with Gnome. I tried to uninstall OO but the errors are still there I have to reinstall the OS to get rid of them.

Any Ideas

Hollywood 8)

What type errors? Dcop? Corba? At times, RH 9 can throw more errors on a screen than Windows can right before a crash! laugh

Thanks for the responce guys. What I had to do was reload RH 9. now how do I get gnumeric to open windows excel files. What I have are xlr files which gnumeric does not recognize if I change them to xls files it is recognized but pops up a error that it is not a OLE file and maybe to old to open???????? I also can not get word docs to open either is there a site that explains how to set this up??

Thanks 8)

Well I quess its not the Open Office after all. I just did a reboot and I got the same boxes with red circles and the minus sign in the middle. Also the task bar is at the top and the back ground is all black.

Is it possible that the hard drive partition is jazzed up. I am dual booted with xp and RH 9 is on a 10 gig partition that I use to test different distro's that appell to me. I've probally loaded this partition about 30-40 times :x

I can log in as root fine but if I try to log in as the user it says that the home directory /home/user appears to be unavailable. At least its nice about it. ;(

Or could my installation disc be bad

Thanks Hollywood 8)

Bring me up to date, is this a new install of RedHat?

When you login as root, you get the Gnome desktop OK?

If so, did RedHat format the partition (did you choose to format the partition) when you switched distros, or just overwrite the partition with the RedHat install. This is an important distinction, as you should always choose to format (wipe clean) a partition, not try to overwrite it, uless this was a RedHat upgrade.

If RedHat completed the install, the cd should be OK, but the issue may be if you wiped the partition clean (allowed RedHat to format the partiton, not just set the mount point to /) during the install.

It sounds like the /home/user directory, probably where the Gnome user files and settings are stored, is messed up.

This install is all on one partition, or did you choose multiple partitions during the install (allowed RedHat to make a /, as well as home, var... directories)?

Yes it is a new install and the partition was formatted. I load it after installing lindows I can't say for such if the problem was there before I did that. But I believe once I installed Open is I started having trouble.

Yes when I log in as root I get the Gnome desktop.

Redhat did complete the install.

I have one partition with /home/user/and all the directorys

one for swap

one for bootloader I believe.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but the Distro is called BLAG

its a multimedia version of RH 9. When loading it looks just like a normal RH install besides the color that they used for the installer.

If you get it straightened out, try Abiword. It's a pretty good WP, and isn't nearly the CPU monster that OO is.

I was looking over BLAG and it looks pretty cool! smile I'm glad to see you can use IceWM with it! I might take it for a spin if this Fedora thing doesn't work out... wink

You can get Open Office 1.0 for BLAG thusly (from command line as root):

apt-get update

apt-get apt

(this will get most recent version of apt)

apt-get update

(to get the new list of "extras").

apt-get install openoffice

(this will download and install openoffice, openoffice-i18n, openoffice-libs)