Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cipher

cant clean install RC2 2526?!?!

ive always been able to clean install win2k/winXP betas using a bootdisk, then typing \i386\winnt.exe, but this doesnt seem to work with RC2, and i get the usual "cant install in DOS" error if i run setup.exe, am i missing something with RC2?

Also anyone who has RC2 noticed the shutdown splash page has changed, it how looks like windows2000, with the bar & drop down menu- WTF why they changed it? Maybe they are dumbing down the OS as its getting close to public release wink

I got that same error. For some reason I couldnt burn a .iso with it. So I extracted all the files to a folder, and burned a cd. Booted up to a cmmand promt, and tried to run the setup.exe. It too told me that I couldnt run that in DOS mode.

So, I extracted them to my D: drive (my old 1gig Swap file) and ran the setup.exe from withing Windows. At the time I was on RC1. I selected to choose the drive to install it on, it rebooted and I have two option. Continue with XP setup, or boot into my old XP. I chose XP setup, from there it just installed it like normal, deleted my old XP, and reinstalled 2526 on C: Drive.

I know it sounds odd, and somewhat confusing, but its not. If you can just extract all the files to a dir, run the setup from there, and of course choose 'Clean Install', and follow it from there.

I installed RC2 clean by using a WindowsME (with the realmode DOS enable hack) bootdisk and running just winnt.exe just fine. Worked flawlessly for me. smile