Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jason Stevens

8021 8032 backup browser failures

Hello all, here is a real dussy, been working with ms on this for almost 7 months now. If you have any information, please reply to this post and also send me an email. Thanks in advance.

Original configuration

Server 1 = Nt4 PDC (master browser) Server 2 = 2000 member Server 3 = 2000 member

Current configuration. Upgraded server 1 to 2000, migrated to active directory. Is now a DC / master browser. Is running dns / wins / dhcp. All are sp2.

Browsing was working great in the original configuration. Once I upgraded server 1 to 2000, I started getting 8021 8032 errors on the 2 other servers. We have 3 other customers that are having the problem with a clean 2000 network, never been upgraded as well.

Running the support tools command browstat status I get error 1230 on all 3 servers and error 64 on server 1.

Unable to retrieve server list from (server1): 1230

net helpmsg 1230 = An invalid operation was attempted on an active network connection

Unable to retrieve server list from (server1): 64

net helpmsg 64 = The specified network name is no longer available

In the event viewer of server 2 and 3 the following errors are noted.

Event id 8021 - The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master (server1)

Then following 2 or 3 of 8021's

Event id 8032 - The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list to many time on transport..... The backup browser is stopping.

In the end what eventually happens is the server will be unable to browse the network at all. A dialog box displays.

"an invalid operation as performed on an active network connection"

Any services that reference the browser service will stop working. Mainly Citrix ica browser, citrix load balancing will be affected and terminal services users will be unable to browse the network. Although mapped drives continue to work.

Resetting server 2 and 3 have no affect, I have to restart server 1 for the problem to be temporaly resolved.

Running another ms utility, browdeb rpc

Remoting I_BrowserServerEnum to \\server1 on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{2ED88DFB-1AEA-4EF9-AE7E-ECE65E223C09} with flags ffffffff Unable to remote API to \\server1 on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{2ED88DFB-1AEA-4 EF9-AE7E-ECE65E223C09}: The system cannot find the file specified.

I feel that this is the main problem im having. Either a security rights issue or possible file open/lock issue. Or maby this file isnt even being generated correctly.

Running browdeb getdomain

Unable to query domain list from WINS server: 1722

C:\>net helpmsg 1722

The RPC server is unavailable.

Ok here is what wonderfull tech leads at MS have thought up so far smile All to no avail.

Making sure servers are not multi-homed. They are not and rras is disabled on all.

Removed netbeui everwhere.

Put all servers on hub not switch.

Verified binding order and that file and print sharing was enabled on all 3 servers.

Removed third server totally out of the picture, ruling out metaframe.

Moved wins to another server. 2000 server still.

Disabled wins entirely, relying on dns for all resolution.

Verified that all servers were pointing to server 1 for wins / dns.

Disabled all running apps on servers including exchange / arcserve.

Most all of our customers who have 2000 dc / master browser, have had or is having these errors. We had one customer resolve the issue by putting wins server on a nt4 box and pointing all servers there. As well as setting dns dynamic updates to yes as oposed to secure.

I look forward to seeing if anyone has an answer for this. Certainly MS doesnt. I will surely reply to this post if I find out more information.

Jason Stevens