Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SoulNothing

Newbie need help installing

I dont know if this is common sensse or if its my fault, but here it goes im going to do a dual boot with both xp and mandrake 9.1

now i got the distro from one of the links on the board ended up to be a 680 mb file. anyway i burned a total of 6 discs one for each image using nero burning rom 6. Then i also made a boot distro, and the floppy. Now i can go into the intstall but its asking for a scsi, and it says it cant find the cd install. Do i need another file or is there something else i need to do..

i have a hp a220n

a 120GB dma hard drive. ntfs seperated into two partition one 98 gb NTFS and a 3 gig FAT32 an amd 2600 and i beleive nforce 2 board. But everything seems to check out cept the cd roms anything i need to do to fix this cd drives are

primary Dvd Rom atape 16X

Slave Cendyne 48/16/48 rewriter

ive tried all the cds i have one for each image and nothing is there another file i need to get the one i got was Mandrake91-cd1-inst.i586

thanks in advance for any response any more info needed just ask

Seems like I've read about this problem with MDK 9.1 before. Why not download and burn Mdk 9.0 and see if it installs. In my estimation 9.0 was far more stable and less problematic when installing than either 9.1 or 9.2. If it's important to you to have a newer distro, might I recommend Fedora Core 1? I've been using it for almost a week, up from RH 9, and it is really a fine distro.

Thanks dapperdan

i am not worried about the distro age or how new it is i just want to get away from xp

the issue is my dsl is extremely slow im lucky to get about 1kbs odd i know so any good servers you can recommend im also broke so i need a free distro download

thanks alot i know nothings going to help this dsl problem but i noticed some servers will let me get 1.5kbs a second yay but do i need all files

You mean all the Fedora files? I would strongly recommend it. As a new user, it is very wise to install EVERYTHING to begin with. Once you get familiar, you can always delete what you don't want. If you get Fedora installed, and working satisfactorily, let me know and I'll show you how to install apt-get rpm, which will make your life with Linux MUCH easier. smile

what i meant is off the server because i thought some was source code thanks alot

i hope i dont have to get all the files from the server because it would take forever

specail.JPG

Just the three .isos. Yeah, it would be a bummer to have to download all three at a really slow speed. You could always buy the .isos off the net. Some places charge just a few bucks for this.

My guess is that it's the nForce board that you have. Yes, get Fedora, it works on my nForce system. The older versions of each distro do not always know how to handle the nForce boards.

It does sound like you may not have your system set to boot from the CDROM first in the bios? Is this why you made a floppy install disk?

As Dapper Dan suggested, you can purchase the cd's cheap, if you can wait a week. I just bought SUSE-PRO from Linux CD, a 5 cd set for $15.97, shipping included.

They have Fedora for $ 5.97;

http://www.linuxcd.org/view_distro.php?&...6412ee296f088b6

Yeah i have the bios set to boot in the right order Floppy, CD, Hard Drive

i may just buy the distros then thanks again

But is there anyway to fix the mandrake problem

I just got the Evil Entity distro last night, but now it wont boot, ive made a boot and a data need help

heres my boot order

1 Cd rom

2 Floppy

3 Hard drive

I think that we need to take a step back...

I assume that you made 2 cd's, one is the ISO file and one is the package that contains the package/extra application (package) files.

When you made the ISO file, did you burn the image or just the iso file to the cd?

In Nero, you need to choose file ---> burn image, not just burning the file to the cd, as a data file.

When you go to the cd that you burned the iso file to, do you see the iso file only, or a bunch of files on the cd (which would be the decompressed/burned install files)?

Another commom problem is burning the image at too fast of a speed. If you did choose to burn the image, you need to burn at a slower speed than the writer may be capable of, say 4X or 8X. This usually assures a good image burn, if the download is a good one. If you encountered trouble downloading (the process was interrupted and you tried to resume it) then the iso file could be bad.

What i did is unzip with winrar. Then copy files over to burn cd then add the image on top of everything when it asked for it. I didnt just add the iso file to the cd.

So i did one cd boot style. Copy all files over. Then when it asked for boot imafe i added it

The other one was just a date without a image.

I burn it at 20X out of 48

im done with mandrake it aint working so i switched to evil entity and the redhat wouldnt download.

so with mandrake i made each one for a different image.

evilentity i just have two one data no image.

And one boot style with the image EvilE provided

Quote:
What i did is unzip with winrar. Then copy files over to burn cd then add the image on top of everything when it asked for it. I didnt just add the iso file to the cd.
So i did one cd boot style. Copy all files over. Then when it asked for boot imafe i added it
The other one was just a date without a image.

I burn it at 20X out of 48

im done with mandrake it aint working so i switched to evil entity and the redhat wouldnt download.
so with mandrake i made each one for a different image.
evilentity i just have two one data no image.
And one boot style with the image EvilE provided

The ISO is an image of the CD. Using Nero, pull down the Recorder menu item, and select 'Burn Image' . You will get a box that allows you to find your ISOs. (You may have to select the file type in a drop down box.) Don't extract any files from the ISO! Choose the ISO image then click on 'Burn' in the upper right corner of the dialog that pops up. Burn at 8x or slower, and be sure to check the md5 checksums before you begin! 8)

Yep, the idea is that your burning software will burn the image to the cd, assuring that the iso files are prepared properly as a boot cd. This is the idea of the iso image burned as an image.

okay thanks i finally got the cd done i just installed roxio

anyway new problem as a newbie im like totally clueless

all right i got it to boot partition and manage, but as soon as it restarts it goes back to xp

SoulNothing, I'm afraid many of us will be in strange territory trying to help with this distro you have. I'm not familiar with it, but will try to help if I can. smile

Sorry to take you back after all the things you did, but...

Things are much easier with mandrake.

Now you know how to do the right first CD from the ISO, do it from the Mandrake first CD iso, and boot on it.

It will do everithing fine, just choose "use existing partitions" because the Lunux partitions are already created.

Then it will install everything, including LILO, which will boot on Linux by default but will allow you to temporarily choose Windows XP if you prefer.

The whole operation will last about one hour, just try it!