Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
deckard

PS/2 Sample Rate / Mouse Rate

Has anyone found a way to increase the sample rate of a PS/2 mouse in XP? This worked great under Win9x with PS2rate but I never had any luck getting this working in Win2k (using the Win2k-enabled version). Since I'll likely upgrade, has anyone done this in XP with any type of utility and verified that it works (using a rate checker)?

Go to the device manager, goto Mice and go into the properties of your mouse. Go to the advance settings tab and there it is PS/2 rate. Works in windows 2000 as well.

True but in Win2k the maximum value from that option is 100 when it should be 200. Logitech Mouseware software overrides this and allows you the full range up to 200 but I have and prefer the Kensington Expert Mouse, whose drivers have no such override. So I would need some 3rd party utility to get it over 100.

No I didn't look because I couldn't look. I stated above I want to upgrade to XP from Win2k, meaning I don't have XP at this time. I can state as fact that the same option in Win2k goes only to 100, but you have stated that it goes all the way to 200 in XP and this answers my question completely. Thanks.

OK I have another question. Can someone verify that setting the PS/2 sample rate in XP to 200 works using this rate checker?

http://tscherwitschke.de/download.html

I have had no luck at all getting the sample rate above 80 in Win2k using my Kensington Expert Mouse along with their latest 5.60 drivers. I dunno if these drivers somehow block the ability to tweak the sample rate or what but I cannot get anything to work. I tried PS2RATE, MEMPS2, and the mouse settings in Control Panel mentioned above (which go to 100 in Win2k). All 3 act like they are doing their job but upon checking, it's always at 80.

Anyway, never mind about that but if someone with XP could crank up their PS/2 sample rate all the way to 200 and verify it works, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, just wanted to be sure XP was up to snuff. My Win2k problem turns out to be the Kensington drivers as I suspected. Soon as I uninstalled them, PS2RATE and MEMPS2 both worked a trick. Of course no driver equals greatly decreased mouse support (at least in Kensington's case). I've opened a trouble report with Kensington but I'm not holding my breath for a fix. You'd think a big peripheral supplier like Kensington would learn from the competition (Logitech) and provide a custom PS/2 rate adjuster WITHIN the driver functionality.