Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

Good motherboard for a P3 1GHz??

I would like to buy a P3 1GHz and i would like a motherboard that will give me maximum compatibility with win2k. i have a thunderbird 1,2 gigs with asus a7v raid, but i have nothing but probs that i've tried to solve for 6 months now (i've tried every driver and patch out there, nothing helps: sp2, amd win2k patch, via drivers, asus ata100 drivers,...). It's driving me crazy so i'm going back to intel. Even if that costs me a lot of performance, i would like to use my computer now instead of trying to get windows to boot...or to be stable...

Anyway, what mobo do you recommend for a P3 1Gig? I wanted a motherboard with no VIA chip as it gave me a lot of headaches with the AMD yet... but i seems the i815 is the only choice then, and it only supports 512 MB RAM MAX

Anything better out there? Or is the VIA chip better when used with an Intel CPU?

Thanks.

Here is a list of the rest of the hardware:

Hercules geforce 2 Pro

SBlive value

Plextor cdrw 16x

Pioneer DVD-ROM drive

IBM HD 30gig ATA100

QUANTUM HD 10gig ATA100

300 Watt power supply

Well, if you're not going to overclock, I suggest getting the Tyan Trinity 400. If you want 4 IDE channels, you'll have to get another card, but until I sold mine toward my duallie system, I had this board. Very good one too. Yes, it does have a Via chipset, however, I found it to be very stable. Basically, you've got Via or the 815, unless you want to buy RAMBUS.

Question of course would be do you actually need more than 512MB RAM?

The Intel 815 chipsets are very sound, very easy to setup and cause no real problems.

ASUS CUSL2/C/BP makes a good choice - been using the Black Pearl version for a while, before that just had the standard CUSL2-C, never had a single problem with either.

I can vouch for the CUSL-2, and the CUV4X-D.

The former my m8 has, and has no problems, the only limitation being the 512MB Ram.

I have the CUV4X-D which is a dual board, and have no problems at all.

I just reimaged last night, and the system is very stable.

Specs below >

Asus CUV4X-D (Bios 1010)

Dual PIII 1 ghz @133

1Gb PC133 SDRam

2 x 75GXP 30.7GB IBM Deskstar ATA100

GTXP 2.02

Gef 2 GTS Pro 32MB DDR (nvidia ref) 12.41 dets

Yamaha 8424sz int SCSI CDRW

Adaptec int ScSI card

Acer 52x CDRom

Pioneer 16x DVD A05s

iiyama VM Pro 450 19"

MS Intellimouse Explorer USB

MS Sidewinder FF Pro2 USB

MS Sidewinder Gamepad Pro 2 USB

MS Internet Pro KB

USR 56k V.90 Voice/Fax Ext Modem

RatzPad smile

400W PSU

Direct X 8a, VIA 4in1 4.29’s, VIA Usb Patch from sidewinder site.

Dual booting Win98se & W2k Sp1, Sp2 (all critical updates) I.E 5.5 sp1 and updates.

3DMark2000 (12.41) = 6208

3DMark2000 (7.58) = 6550

Hope this is of some use to you.

Well thanks a lot folks.

I don't think i will need more than 512 MB RAM for a long time smile

I think a mobo with the i815 is the best choice for now too, i've seen too much people having trouble with VIA.

Thanks again for replying.

i would have to say to go with the MSI 815e Pro ... i've seen some funny stuff with the ASUS boards, although i know they are very good mobos, i think that the MSI seems a little more stable and compatible ... not to mention one of my friends has one and has had 0 problems (he's had it since January 2001). you can probably find this mobo for under $100 so i would look at it if you are serious about getting a P3.