Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kingtrey

problems with cd drives ... has this happened to you?

ok, i've been poking around in XP and i seem to have come across a strange issue. all of the sudden i won't be able to read CDs from either my DVD Drive (Pioneer 10x Slot-Load) or my CDRW Drive (Plextor 12/10/32a). i'll put in a CD and nothing will happen, and when you double click the icons for the drives it just says no CD is inserted. i have to log off and log back on to regain access to the CD drives. i can't figure out exactly what causes this to happen, but i'm pretty sure it happens right after you use Windows XP's built-in CDRW features. also, sometimes i get a BSOD when i play with burning CDs too much. has anybody else had trouble with CD-ROM functions in Windows XP RC1?

BTW - i've never had this problem before using Windows XP smile

Pentium III 800mhz

256mb PC100 SDRAM

GeForce 2 GTS

SBLive

Plextor 12/10/32a

Pioneer 10x Slot DVD

It "sounds" like your insert notification features have been disabled. There are a few CD recording packages out there that will do that "auto-magically" for you. Since you mentioned something about this happening AFTER using WinXP's built-in CD burning functionality, *maybe* that program did that. I only used Beta 2, and I didn't care for it that much. Hopefully, one of the more seasoned users of WinXP (Eddie314, THC, or Four and Twenty) can clue you in on this.

i thought maybe the auto-insert wasn't working but its more than that ... even when you click refresh or hit F5 it won't let you into the CD ... programs can't access it or anything, so its pretty much completely useless until i log off or reboot

Well, I hve this problem too.

I think it is due to some burning software, it happens sometimes when I finished using clonecd.

yeah ive never heard of this problem but ive heard of DMA drives just magically turning to PIO mode. I had a problem using 2509 after i tried installing the UDF reader from adaptec that it wouldnt refresh the name of the CD in the drive, but it still read CDs fine. I guess best advice is to get RC2 and see if it happens on there.