Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
W2Kchaos

Need for speed 3 and 4 and Half-life

Ok, I have a clean install of W2k with service pack 2 and directX 8. I have installed that app compatibility pack and have the following problems:

1. NFS3 installed fine but I can only run at 800X600. This is using a Voodoo 3500.

2. NFS4 cannot seem to complete the install. It asks if I want a shortcut placed on the desktop and after answering, the install stops at the black screen. Windows does not lock, but the black screen will not go away and the install will not complete.

3. Half-life- I installed this and upated to 1.0.0.6 running from a back-up CD. During the intro-movie the game craps out and send me back to the desktop with no message. Is there a way to skip the opening movie or should I just download a saved game from the web?

Need for Speed - Porsche Unleashed runs great.

Thanks in advance

I think there is a cmd line swich for hl to skip the intro movie,but cant remember what it is!

I remember helping someone over at NVnews.net here is what I replied to them.

"I don't think NFS 3 supports 32-bit color anyway. As for the GF3 showing up as Direct 3D Device 1 it won't because NFS 3 supports only Direct X5 and thus the game won't pick up the card but will still work with it. There was a patch for NFS 3 that made it work with Direct X 6, I think you can get here: http://www.glideunderground.com/GU_Files.asp

It may let you get up to 1024. In any case the performance is WAY better with DX6."

The reason I was running windows 2000 was because I could not successfully load Win 98 on my system. It turns out that the hard drive was bad and finally failed completely. Now with a new HD I am running Win 98 SE. Although I may go to a dual-boot system later.

With Win 98 I have just installed NFS3 and still can only setup a direct3d device and can only run at 800X600. I read above that this may be something that I have to live with. I can't drop back to DX6 due to other games that require DX7 and new ones requiring DX8. Is there a fix for this? Also, is there a website like this but geared toward windows 98?

Someone also asked about my setup

Athlon @ 850

256MB PC133

3Dfx Voodoo 3500

I/O Magic MagicWave PCI

Maxtor 20GB

HP 7200 CD-RW

Thanks for that input folks, now I will go see what this thing will do with other games.

It just makes NFS3 take advantage of DX6 features, which are present/compatible in DX7 and DX8.

W2kchaos,

In order to run NFS3 with Windows 2000 and the Voodoo3 card, did you have to run any patch, or do any kind of change to the system? Is it running with hardware rendering or does it only manage software rendering?

I ask this because I own a Voodoo3 2000 card and can't manage to run the game with that fix released by EA to support the Voodoo3 chips. The only way is in software rendering mode which is terrible.

What did you do exactly to have success with the running of NFS 3?

Thanking in advance,

Joao

You need the Voodoo 3 patch from EA for it to work properly with your Voodoo 3, I have the patch. If you need me to I'll post it somewhere for you.

Behemoth

Hi,

The problem with the patch EA provides is that it doesn't work with Windows 2000.

Under Windows 2000, after applying the patch and following all the instructions, the game simply doesn't start.

What I would like to know is how W2kchaos managed to use that particular patch with Windows 2000.

Thanks anyway for your reply.

Regards,

Joao

A bit OT but could anyone tell me how to bypass the `cannot install in w2k` message at the start of instalation?

Many thanks in advance smile