Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
matttah

swap drive off maybe?

http://jpegwizard.com/new/imagefiles/223200433336PM39520.jpg

Thats an ss of my system monitor, the drive that i have clicked i think is the swap drive...what do i have wrong, that its always using that much memory and no swap, or is that just me? I ask becuase to play tuxracer my comp lags insane amounts(with the graphics or something, but i have an nvidia 2 card which claims to be installed correct) and gnome-terminal trying to go transparent is very laggy. Do i have to enable swap drive or something? when i did set up, it did create the partition or had it on the menu as it would.

oh other partiotons are /dev/hda1 dir /boot ext3 98.7 mb total, used 8.2 and my linux parition -/dev/hda2 dir / ext3 35.6 gig, 11.7 used.

edit!! Got the video driver working, had to modify the x11.config file=p now, i still can't get the gnome terminal to work in transparent=\

Daum

if you want to increase your swap partition you can use te following. i got it from justlinux.com

you just run the script as root. give the amount of swap you need in megs as the argunent. if you have enough free space then your new swap partition will be created.

#!/bin/sh

if [ `id | awk '{print$1}' | tr "()" " " | awk '{print$2}'` != root ];

then

clear

echo "You must be logged in as root to build images."

exit 1

fi

dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/local/${1}-megs bs=1000000 count=$1

chmod 777 /usr/local/${1}-megs

mkswap /usr/local/${1}-megs

swapon /usr/local/${1}-megs

# Remove the next line to NOT auto mount at bootup

echo "/usr/local/${1}-megs swap swap defaults 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

if swapon -s | grep -q ${1} ; then

echo "Fly Swap was sucessfull"

echo

fi

As far as I understand you, you want linux to use more swap space instead of memory - Actually linux will use nearly all of your memory before it will use the swap. This is intended because swap space is much slower then RAM and it would slow down your system enormously if swap space would be used more than it is now. The terminal problem surely is not related to swap space usage.