Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
donald

How do I make .exe files?

Hi I am hoping someone here can help me, I am planning on distributing a large amount of files to users via the web, not all of these users will know where to put the files (new missions for a game) so i thought of making exe files, however I don't know of any programes that will do this for me, so I was wondering does anyone here use a good installer program and also does anyone know if it is possible to make *.msi files and if so how?

Thanks

Could you just use a self extractor from WinZip, WinRAR, or WinACE? I think that will do what you are asking.

Sorry buddy not with your level of knowledge. No offense intended.

Do as Clutch says, your life will be easier. on a self extractor you can define default path but user can modify it if needed.

if you know turbo pascal i may be able to help you with that. but i don't garantee anthing though!!

If you can write a program and use parameters where user can enter the path (not GUI though!) of the file that he wants to install and th path of the directory that the game is installed you may be able to do something. but first i have to check with one of my friends who is a professional programmer. he may be able to find a better way. wink

You'd really have a lot easier time using something like WinZip's self-extractor, as was mentioned before...

OK i just talked to my friend, it is like 5000 lines of programming!!! if i were you i whouldn't go trough that. well sorry it wasn't as easy as i thought, but it is possible(if it is very important for you) and perhaps not the best way of doing it.

sorry!! :P :p

Try WinInstallerLE in your Win2k-CD.

(X:\VALUEADD\3RDPARTY\MGMT\WINSTLE)

Since this is the LE-version I don't think it will let you check the registry for what direciory the user has installed a certain app to.

It sucks to install a package/patch that just installs, assuming that the user had installed the original application to the default path...

/Toby