Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wolf87

SP2 Application Compatibility Toolkit 1.5

The new Application Compatibility Toolkit 1.5 contains an updated QFixApp to provide compatibility solutions for Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 2.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/defa...ompositedoc.xml

How to Enable Application Compatibility-Mode Technology in Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (disabled by default):

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q279/7/92.ASP

I tried almost everthing, but I cannot get the AppComp 1.5 to run. It installs fine, but when I try the demoapp, it gives an error message (win95 only app). My computer has a fresh Windows2000 installation, with no former AppComp installed. Just the support tools are installed. I tried even the Whistler-AppComp-beta-Kit, but it doesn´t work either. I installed and deinstalled all those apps in different combinations, but the demoapp won´t start. That means the AppComp 1.5 doesn´t seem to work on my computer.

ANY IDEAS?

?? demoapp is just an example program to show what Qfixapp does. I suggest you read the documentation. You want to run Qfixapp not demoapp.

Thanks for the reply, but this is really weird.

I recently installed Windows2000 again on my computer due to a mainboard change. I then installed directly SP2, directx8.0a and blablabla. The support tools with apcompat.exe of course were also installed.

I think I am a quite experienced user, and I know what support tools, qfixapps and service packs are and do.

So I installed Qfixapp1.5...and...nothing!!!! IT DOESN´T CHANGE A THING, IT EVEN CANNOT HANDLE VERSION CONFLICTS on my computer! An

EXAMPLE that it doesn´t work for me:

If a version conflict occurs, which I could handle on my former Windows2000 SP1 installation, I cannot fix it with Qfixapp1.5 and SP2.

And the the demoApp is a TESTING PROGRAM, to demonstrate what a version conflict is and how Qfixapp1.5 can handle it with its OS-layers. If I try to install the demoapp, it returns "This program requires Windows 95". OK I then change to the win95 layer and start the installer of the demoapp again....the same return...will not install. And this procedure occurs on all formerly installable games too. There has to be something wrong!!!

It seems like the Qfixapp1.5 needs an activation on my computer, I don´t mean the above described activation...I tried it..it doesn´t solve my problem.

Has anybody experienced equal problems?

In QFixApp panel, click Advanced tab, browse to the game and make Fix Support.

Sometimes ACT 1.5 will activate anti-debugging tools from the CD copy-protection software. The message box containing "Please remove the debugger" could also appear in the case of Safedisc 2. Proceed first to remove the copy protection software to resolve this:

http://w3.to/protools

http://go.to/gamefix

Make a full install of the game, remove copy-protection, apply ACT 1.5 to the new executable and run the game without the CD.

Hey canadians rule...,

but you didn´t get the point. QFixApp1.5 isn´t functioning on my system. I can make fixes, but they don´t work. I can trie to change os-layers, but this doesn´t work either.

The games I want to install are originals, and I never needed no-cd fixes for them. All of the could be run by using Apcompat.exe or QfixApp1.1/QFixApp2Whistlerbeta. Since I upgraded to SP2 I waited for a functioning QFixApp, but 1.5 gives me headaches...more or less! Somehow weird!

Thank you for your reply

..."I did it my way"...

Everything is fine now! ACT1.5 is finally functioning! But I had to install several applications before. I don´t know exactly what did it, but there were definitivly files missing. I installed ACT1.1, ran Appfix, installed the may-update and used 4 additional files from the Whistler ACT2 beta. Voila, that did it!

But somehow weird!