Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mickbench

Using MSI Files

Got a real big problem...

I need to deploy update Modem drivers and software to around 1400 laptops.

I have created an MSI using Win-install LE for Windows 2000 that combines both the new drivers and the software package.

The laptops have been imaged using Norton Multi-cast so they are already installed with no good drivers for a Compaq Laptop.

Don't ask.. Someone hasn't tested very well here.. Now I have 1400 laptops that need new drivers and software to get the modems to dial out.

A good percentage has already gone to users, so a recall maybe a mute point at this time...

My plan is to send CD's with the MSI for the user to simply insert into there CD Drive. It is a autorun CD that starts the MSI for them.

Problem is, it won't complete, as general users don't have access to the reg on Win 2000.

How can I elevate the rights of the MSI to run as the local Admin Account.

Once installed they can then dial into the network, and I will take care of the rest using Group Policy and Assigned MSI files to finish it off..

Thanks

I don't suppose you have SMS 2.0 do you? The SMS installer will allow you to use domainname\username and password in the install function, then you can run whatever you like. If I see anything more just using the MSI installer, I'll post it.

I have managed to find a reg hack that changes the

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

Value Name: AlwaysInstallElevated

Value Data Types: REG_DWORD

Changing this to 0 to 1 will let the msi install regardless of who is logged on...

Now, I need to create a VBS Script that is called from a batch file using the run as command with this batch file to change this value.

Attach this to the autorun CD.. Hopefully this may work..

Problem being, I don't know a great deal of VB Scripting..

Of cause the VBS will need to change the setting back again..

Anyone.!!

Or, could you have an exe that would use the "runas" function? That way the user could click that, and the msi would run as local administrator (or whatever account you choose).