Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HELLBRINGER

Random re-boots

Not a huge problem... But, lately, my computer will decide to just reboot it self when i am doing something. For instance, once it just restarted when I clicked a button... I think it may be program related.

I am thinking the problem may have to do with any of the following things...

Power... maybe. I have 6 fans running extra from my normal config, and a 300W PSU, I should be fine though.

Heat. I'm not sure, but it seems my CPU does get pretty hot, when my system restarted I checked my temp right after, and it was about 120F. I dont think this is the prob, but it's possible.

Short - I have a fishie setup with fans, something may be causing a short that causes the system to restart

Program causing problem... I have some programs running... Dont know if any are a problem, but its possible.

This restart thing has only happened 3 times to me in a 2 week period, but I was gone for 5 days.

I know I am kind of analyzing my own problem here. But thought I would mention it to you fellow experts.

Its not a huge problem though, doesnt happen often. It happened 2 times yesterday though. None today. So far...

Do you have "Automatically Reboot" turned on in the Startup & Recovery section of System Properties? If so, turn it off and you should be able to see if you are getting a BSOD.

You could also try checking the Event Logs to see if anything was noted there before the system reset itself.

Random reboots could be caused by so many things, I would wait and see if you get a BSOD, then search support.microsoft.com for the error code.

Rgds

AndyF

Is it only happening in a single OS?

If so...is that OS windows 2000?

If so..are you using SP2?

If so...thats your answer..

confused??? well..Service Pack 2 had a nasty habit of randomly rebooting me exteramly randomly (me being in the computer arts field...thats very bad)..once i formatted and kept SP2 OFF my system..everything was dandy..

Look "now", aren't you jumping to conclusions a bit hastely?

You had a problem, reinstalled the OS but not SR2 and conclude thats where the problem was. How do you know that the cure wasn't the reinstall and SR-2 would work fine now? I, for my part very much doubt that SR-2 has anything to do with it.

I had the same problem for a long while, but it seems to have disappeared now (SR-2 installed and all). I think that some shareware was the culprit, or to be more precise I suspect a certain piece of freeware that improved the functionality of a certain shareware. You don't happen have WinCom 4.52 running ? It could very well have been something else also, re-boots only occured about every 5 hrs of active use or so it hard to tell.

Your temp reading sounds like normal (not knowing what CPU), but readings aren't facts. Run the box with the case open a week and see if that helps. If you have fiddled around inside lately, check that everything is firmly connected. IMO 300W is enough if you are not o/c heavily, especially as your sys used to work and you haven't added or changed cards (especially the graphics card)

Check the system logs and see if they give a clue to what caused the reboot. Also check the essential services for what action is set under recovery, First/Second/Subsequent failures ? Do you have it set tothe setting "reboot the computer" ? Change that and see if you start getting a BSOD instead.

H

simple...

I install 2k with SP2 (several times) ....reboots every time

I install it without SP2...its fine

Jumping to conclusions? I dont think so smile

Oh..and for the record..it rebooted before i installed any drivers or programs....so it had to of been something in windows.

I never knew someone could get shot down for offering some help/advice...geez...

--now inc

I had win 98 SE recently, i had this reboot thingee hapening a couple of times. Now i have Winn 2K and i have it again. Note that i formatted my hard disk and put the new OS.

HEy "now", don't feel shot down :)that was not intended. I just doubted the sr-2 theory/solution, especially as you didn't mention first that you had tried it several times. On my end, I have W2K on several machines and have done several reinstalls and haven't noted any problems with SR-2.

H

could be caused by bad RAM or faulty BIOS revision ..i know that happened to me when i uopgraeed to 3r for the kt7, had reboots...then I just downgraded to zt ..everything's better

Sound more like power problem that one thing Win2000 dosen't like at all that well nor bad memory.

You should take two of thoses fan off line to see if it help any.

Yeah, heat is bad dood.

Don't forget to get some good heat compound between the heatsink and the duron core.

the other day the temprature of my room was about 42 degrees Celcius. my case from out side was hot, i could feel it. but the only problem i faced ws that the computer got a little slow in the game (4x4 Evolution) and the texture started to disappear. all i did was that i oppened the case and put a 20" fan bside the computer. it never realy crashed!! but i had the restarts when it was just half an hrs from the start in a much cooler temp.

if heas wasn't the problem in my case what could be.

note that i didn't change anything on my system and the "random restarts" are just gone. they just started to happen every 5 min, then just stopped from happening!!!!! i'm really confused now!! confused

there is heat compound man... I aint stupid trust me... It's just that i have it overclocked and it needs a bigger heatsink lol... this damn fop32 isnt that good if you dont have a good fan on it.

i am gonna get a nice heatsink here soon or a water cooling system setup...

but i know what the prob is. otherwise my system is perfectly stable