Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shinglung

Whats the RAID playing at?

Hi I have just finished a clean install of XP rc1 and I seem to be having a few problems. My set up is as follows;

+ Abit VP6 with dual PIII 1Ghz 133

+ 1Gb SDRAM PC133

+ Master IDE Channel 1 IBM 15Gb ATA100 HD <- XP is installed on this!

+ Secondary IDE Channel 1 HP CDRW

+ Secondary IDE Channel 2 250Mb Zip Drive

+ Master Raid two Seagate HD ATA60 in Raid 0

+ ELSA Gladiac 920 64Mb DDR

+ SB Live Platinum

+ Pinnacle DV500

+ 3Com 10/100 Network Card

My Raid drive is giving me problems. When I try to use it, it crashs explorer but not the system, so I'm left with nothing but task manager and that dosn't seem to work either.

I've deleted and recreated the Riad drive and reformated it but this does not seem to help.

Are they any drivers I can get or does XP have a big problem with the Highpoint chip?

Also reading though all the XP forums I can find little bits about what drivers are best but can anyone tell me what the best ones are for the VP6?

Thanks

William

Im running a VP6 and this is what you have to do:

Make sure you have the latest bios (im running yt (its a beta but works great). you can get it from www.vp6-board.com

then go into bios and make sure to Set MPS Spec. to 1.1 (its in advanced options i believe).

When you run winxp setup, when it says "press f6 for third party drivers" press f5, in a minute a little menu will come up and allow you to select what kind of computer you have, select "MPS Multiprocessor". DO NOT select ACPI Multi as WinXP will NOT work. This is a known problem on the VP6 that MS has yet to fix.

Now that your are running MPS multi with MPS spec 1.1, let xp install. Next, after you can log into it, go to device manager and view the properties on the raid controller. you should notice that the driver was provided by MS, not highpoint. You have to check update driver, select it from a list, and use the driver 1.0.3b (i think thats the right version, its the one that came with my mobo). If you dont force winxp to take the driver it won't. After you update it, check back the driver info to make sure it took. With this driver i have no problems in winxp

Ultrix.

I'm using the latest beta bios with the latest hacked beta highpoint bios (geesh you definetly don't wanna hear that when talking about bios's! laugh ) with the latest highpoint drivers. No problems on me RAID. laugh