Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shreddie

NT 4 VPN over Cable

I have a NT 4 BDC Service Pack 6a (128 Bit) connecting to a NT 4 PDC Service Pack 6a (128 Bit). I have RRAS setup on both and then I reapplied the Service Pack. I can connect and it says that I authenticated properly, but I can't browse the network properly and I can't do any domain functions (ie- user manager, server manager). I have setup the PPTP Filtering, Require Encryption and MS Authentication, but to no avail. Any ideas......

Well, on the KISS principle, I would check my name resolution first. Can you ping by name? Can you browse the PDC from your BDC by NetBIOS name and vice-versa? Whenever you have remote BDCs like that, it's typical to replicate the WINS database and/or use LMHOST files in order to point to resources across a WAN link.

Thanks Clutch, I will try that. Sometimes it is the simple things that we forget that cause us the most grief.....

one thing I noticed is with my vpn. I can get authenticated and such, but I had to change networks. for example.. I was on a 10.0.0.x network, and the network that I was connecting to was 10.0.0.x as well. Now, when I ping something, I think it gets messed up. I changed one network to 10.0.1.1 and now everything is cool. Im not doing this from a pdc to a bdc, im doing it from a remote computer to another, thru a firewall. maybe thatll help.

j

I tried all those ideas, but none worked. The 2 networks are seperate. I setup the LMHosts and such and still nothing.