Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GTwannabe

Newbie SCSI questions

I currently have 4 IDE devices: hard drive, orb drive, CD-burner, DVD drive. They are currently set C: thru F:

Lets say I buy a SCSI card and add some devices (hard drive, etc.) What will the drive letter be? Will it take over E:, or wll it go to the end, and become G ;( Or can I set it to whatever I want?

I want to know what to set my CD drives to, as I'm wiping my hard drive and doing a fresh install of 2k.

The answer to your question depends on a number of things. If you plan to still boot off your IDE drives and just add the SCSI drives configured as extendend partitions, then they'll get tagged on to the end of the drive list. I've seen cases where they followed directly after the IDE hard drives and also where they've gone right to the end after the CD's.

There's nothing to stop you assigning whatever letter you want in NT anyway. There's a server here with a SCSI C: drive, D: CDROM and follwing that another two hard drives. This was done because the end drives are swapped or missing sometimes and we didn't want a 'wandering' CDROM letter.

If you aren't planning to boot off of the SCSI disks or use them from DOS, you might want to disable the controller BIOS. This should prevent them from getting detected ahead of the IDE disks.

But, as mentioned, if you are doing a clean install, you can arrange drive letters to your hearts content (or even get rid of them and use a single rooted filesystem). One thing I learned the hard way is that installing NT into a extended partition and then adding/removing drives can lead to a system that doesn't want to boot without lots of cajoling.