Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

Draw_LoadWad: Couldn't open cached.wad

I am having a heck of a time getting half-life to run on my Win2k. I have a Geforce2 400mhz 64 meg video card and running a 400mhz PII with 128 megs of ram. I have tried deleting and re-installing many times and I have tried both a fresh install and with the latest updates. The file cache.wad is in my tfc folder and I even tried moving it to my half life folder in itself and still no go. Any idea's as too why this is happening??

Thanks for any info!

Lotus

Got the latest update for HL? and SP 2 installed? It's probably just me, but I'm not too clear on what has the latest updates.

It's rather perplexing that HL doesn't run, because that system looks okay.

You don't need to install it through the Application Compatibility program if you have been.

Actually, I'm not too clear on what's happening with HL? Does it even launch into HL and crap out when you try to run a game, or does it not even start altogether? Are you getting error messages?

Did you do a clean install or upgrade?

Which drivers are you using?

What's your entire specs?

I can get it to start up. By that I mean I can get to the menu. If I try to start a game, that is when that message pops up.

I do have SP2 installed and have the latest updates for half life. I have the newest directX and the newest geforce drivers. I just downloaded Windows XP maybe I will have better luck with that, but I would love to get this problem fixed just because it is very annoying. It wouldn't be because of the windows file protection system would it? I am stumped

Had to go to work earlier so I had no time to give more info. I am running an ASUS P2B motherboard and it had the latest bios as of 2 months ago. My 128 megs of ram is pc100, my Geforce2 400mhz 64meg ram card is by visiontek and I got the latest drivers from them 2 days ago. I am running a clean install of windows 2000 and upgraded to SP2 when it was released. The game is installed in the default location and it plays the start up intros fine, but when it gets to the menu to either play or configure or multiplayer etc.. and I choose start a game it just pops up that message and when I click OK it exits out of the game. I can't figure this out, I have the latest drivers/files that I can get (that I know of)

The game worked fine when I was running Win98SE, so I doubt it's a bad disk, everything seemed to install fine. Any idea's at all? Someone said something about maybe the WFP (windows File Protection) system was to blame..anyone think that is true? All people I have talked too say there game works fine.

I really don't know about Windows file protection being an issue, as that's more for the critical Windows files that shouldn't be displaced.

I get the same error under my new install of windows XP. I am starting to wonder if my installation disk is the culprit. maybe there is a slight scratch that is causing a file to get corrupt as it copies over to the hard drive. *sigh*

I'll give my buddies CD a try and see what happens. Very odd

hey...i have windows xp and i have the exact same error happening when i try to run half-life. "Draw_LoadWad: Couldn't open cached.wad" I can't figure it out either. I have all possible updates and still no luck. Get back to me if any of you have found a solution to this problem.