Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
REDi

XP RC1 hangs during install

Ok.. i've seen some similar posts.. anyhow my system freezes up completely right where it's 'saving settings' . it always seems to happen with 6mins left in the install process. i'm running this on a athlon500, 192megs of ram, 40gig ibm deskstar (installing to a 3gig partition for winxp). can anyone helpe me out at all?

take all your hardware out except for your video card, do not overclock, check your ram CAS (latency) settings, move any drives on the raid array(if you got one) over to the onboard IDE's, remove some ram if all else fails. Then after you crack/activate it, shutdown and put all your hardware back in. Try that.

ok i'll give that a go. it could be my a3d card acting up. i'm pretty sure my nic is ok cuz it recognizes it when i do network config. however i'll rip out the sound card. memory should be ok. it's set to cas 3 right now, and the ram has been super stable in win2k for months. my drives are all IDE (no raid). however i'll only pop in my ibm drive, and leave my quantum out until after the install (if it works!)

I just realized that Iwas using a serial # from an older beta version ( think beta1 or something).. maybe that was the problem