Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Linkin

Can't get my network sharing to work

I have messed with Win XP for tons of hours and can't get any of the computers to share files except for the one Win98SE. All computers can access Win 98, but none of them can access any of the Win XP computers. Whenever you double click on them in Network Neighborhood a login box with the login of $IPC$ comes up with a password box. I never put any passwords on any of the computers so I have no idea what the password is or how to change it. Please help someone. I can get temporary sharing access off the XP computers by running the XP network setup wizard, but everytime I restart I have to run it again or no sharing is possible. I have am using SpoonProxy for internet access with static IP addresses. Anyone how to get this to work permanently??

$IPC$ shares are admin shares, if your using the reset crack then you can't get shares working right unless you go thru computer management and do them from there. Also if you logging in without a password that might have something to do with it.

THC129, can you elaborate on this? I cannot get XP RC1 to talk with XP RC1 from another machine.

I admit up front, I'm no network guru. Hence, the post...please help me to get my two machine network going so I can transfer my files.

thanks

Are your computers are in the same workgroup or domain (that is if you have a domain running at your home or office). If they are not then thats where you should start, the next thing is they should all have IP addresses in the same subnet, e.g. ip 192.168.1.x, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.x(whatever you want the server to be if you have one, should be able to leave it blank). Once the machines can ping one another they should be able to find one another in the start search feature and look for another computer. Once you find each other you should be able to see the shares on each machine. The next step would be to setup actual shares on each machine for others to view, you could just select everyone for the permissions so anyone in your home can get access to that specific drive or folder. Let me know if you need anymore help.

Good Luck

PrinceAli0