Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Takashi

Slow Transfering files from Win2k <-> WinMe

Recently I've upgraded the OS on both of my machines and networking just became really slow.

I was running Win98 on both machines before and I didn't have a problem with network speed but Now that after I've upgraded to a Win2K Pro and WinMe Box, here's the problems I'm beginning to have:

Networking really slow, when I browse the network in the network neighborhood it's really really slow, takes ages to load up. And when I tried to copy files back and forth, it would take ages! Copying a 100Meg folder would take 365minutes?? What da? It use to only take about 5 minutes! maybe less even, Obviously there's something wrong.

I'm using WinRoute Lite on the Win2k Machine because I needed to forward a ports to my WinME machine for a certain application, therefore I can't erase WinRoute, [unless someone can tell me if Win2k itself has a port forwarding util or if there's a way to forward a port in win2k?]

Anyways, I recall seeing some tweaks I can do in the registery? I can't remember anymore... it was a while ago.

Anyways, thanks for anyone who can help.

Yeah I have that exact same problem too. I think its just the fact that WinME sucks major ***... And it was not designed for networking in any way at all! We are lucky they even put in network support on that OS. What a waste...

I don't know if there is a patch but you might look at Microsoft's database of problems, which IS FREKKIN HUGE! LOL thats MS for you...

The slow network browsing is due to Win2K. Delete this registry key on your Win2K machine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

By deafualt, Win2K is always searching for scheduled tasks on any machine you network to. Deleting this key stops Win2K from doing that. It solved my problem of taking nearly a full minute to connect to my WinME machines.

For file copying, I use IPX/SPX exclusively for file sharing (TCP/IP is only used for internet) and those long copies went away. Perhaps someone can shed some light on why TCP/IP takes forever to copy between 9X and 2K machines.

Wow thanks! I'm gonna try thay out and let you know if it works. But I do have a question though, about the IPX thingy, well, I was thinking about that myself too so I installed the IPX Protocols along with the netbios thingy. And I did the same for the WinMe machine as well. But for some reason it's still taking ages to copy a file, perhaps I have the IPX protocol installed but yet, win2k is still using the TCP/IP protocol to do the file transfers among my LAN? Now how would I tell my win2k to use only IPX to copy files thru my LAN?

by the way thanks for your great reply. smile

geez, nope that didn't help at all... it's the same. Why is this??

I do have ipx/netbios and everything installed, took out that registery key, but still the same slow browsing and copying thru win2k<->winme boxes.... frown

Quote:

The slow network browsing is due to Win2K. Delete this registry key on your Win2K machine:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

This does wonders on ME as well. i went from 45 seconds down to 2.