Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nagual

100cpu on dialup

ok, i have an asus cusl2 w. 700@970 (fsb around 140) and win2k sp2 dx 8.0a, with a gf2 gts (creative) w. 6.31 drivers.

this problem started when i started turning som services off, now, whenever i use my isdn to dialup a conenction tskmgr says that services takes 100% cpu, and it takes about 45 seconds for it to connect, which, needless to say, is quite annoying.

i have tried to put on all services back the way they where from the start, without success. i was wondering 1.) could anyone post a list on all services that are set to 'automatic' on a default win2k install, or 2.) any idea on what this prob could be all about?

it started before i installed sp2.

thx in advance

go to your control panel and open administration tools or what ever its named and then go to services. then organize by startup and you can see what is automatic, what is manual, and what is disabled. And you can change them too.

One other thing, sp2 is awfully buggy, I would suggest dropping sp2 until MS releases sp3 cause its too damn buggy.

Well enabling the dial up service to start automatically is the solution. It looks like it is started when it is needed.

However I am against dropping SP2.

SP1 is worst.

You know microsoft they just replace the bugs with the new ones.

actually, i know what it was now :-) i had a LOT of entrys in my hosts file to point adservers towards localhost, and when accessing it, it took 100% cpu (while dialing) but thx anyway for the help :-)