Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pufferfish

Horrible Network Problems

i have an internet connection shared via Sygate like this

Cable~~~~~>Server~~~~~~~>client

ethernet phoneline

The server is Windows 98 and the client Windows 2000. (i may upgrade the server to 2k this weekend)

right now(i have had MANY over time) the problem is that the two computers are connected but on the client the connection icon(in lower right hand of the screen)keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. It was working fine until this afternoon. The IP address are set correctly

server=192.168.0.1

subnet=255.255.255.0

client=192.168.0.2

subnet=255.255.255.0

gateway=192.168.0.1

DNS=192.168.0.1

By any chance are you using Diamonds HomeFree phoneline networking thing?

If so, I ran that about 6 months ago and had the exact same problem. I called Diamond and they were no help at all. I wound up switching to cat5 and a hub.

yes i am using Diamond Mulitimedia HomeFree 10mbs Phoneline kits. The things are buggy as hell. Works fine now, but i gaurantee it wont soon

HMM it must be interfering with your phone line in some way it cant keep a stable connection. Judging from what i have just heard I would go out and buy some cheap D-Link 10/100 cards and some cat5 cable and you should be set just fine.

I read up on that phoneline thing from Diamond and it has tons of connection problems. Probably better to just get a normal network, or go wireless.

i cant use Ethernet because i cant run the wires through the walls and i cant leave them visible. Wireless is expensive but i will do that if i HAVE to. frown

ive been checking for a week or so and it seems that it gives out at 9 PM everyday

after that until early the next morning nothing i do can make it work