Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mote

Update DL Without Win Update

I'm sure a few people would be interested if this is possible. A lengthy search of the forums yielded zero results.

I connect to the internet through dialup. Poor dialup actually. 31.2kbps max, often 26.4kbps. I tend to reinstall win98 on my wife's computer about once a month to clean up the junk (why does she need a stupid purple ape to read her email to her?). I also tend to reinstall win2k on my system after fiddling around with services or registry entries. It would be fantastic if I could download all of the Win2k and Win98 updates and burn them onto a cd. Is this possible? Where can I find all of the patches/updates? Unfortunately the MS knowledgebase either didn't have the info, or I was looking in the wrong place. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

A lot of the Win2k patches have been rolled into SP2, so you could either download the network version of that file (about 111MB) or get it from a magazine cover disk and keep it locally. You could do the same with IE and DX8. That would take care of most of the stuff.

There'd still be a few bits and bobs, but it shouldn't be too bad.

As for Win98, I'm not sure I'm afraid.

there is a way to integrate SPs onto CDs but patches is a different story. Those are harder but there is a way to do it but i dont even remember how.

Use the corporate update site to download all the patches etc, corporate.windowupdate.microsoft.com I think.