Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Q

Where it NetBeui at?!?!

So I am trying to do the standard local networking with my two machines. One is Win2K, the other is XP RC1. Now, I usually use NetBeui as it is fairly secure as it is a private connection between two computers and has nothing to do with the internet. However XP seems to be missing this protocal!! All I can do is XP's custom "Home Networking" crap. And when I put my XP disc in my Win2K box, as it says to complete the networking, it tells me this only works with 95, 98, 98SE, ME, and XP!!!! WTF!!?? So currently I have no way to networking my 2K and XP machines. Clues?

yea, turn off Simple Networking, i assume you would install NetBeui from the add/remove components section of the Windows XP cd. I'd use TCP/IP, you're on a home network i a guessing, is it that important that the connection be secure?

Thanks for the tip. How do you turn off that simple networking? As for the add components part, I assume that similar to 2K's way of doing it? Thanks.

No Netbeui anywhere. Plus they don't have any mentioning of connecting a Win2K machine ti a WinXP network. What the SUCK is that all about! So as it stands, I still cannot get my Win2K machined networked to my WinXP. Has ANYONE been able to do this?

I'd tried that, but it didn't work on XP. MS should re-evaluate NetBUEI, but I think they want it out so they can spy on us.

assign ip numbers to your internal nics in the range 192.168.x.x

calm the paranoia Brian, if ms actually wanted to spy on you do you think they couldnt use netbeui to do so? there own code? lol.

eg

.................computer1.........................computer2

internet<--->dhcp dialup.......................ethercard set to

.................ether card (192.168.0.1)<------->ip=192.168.0.2

.................gateway blank...................gateway=192.168.0.1

.................firewall on

if you really want to use the slow pig that is netbeui then you can find it on the xp disk in valueadd\msft\net. Searched everywhere huh.

I would not use NetBEUI if it was up to me, but its not. My dad calls the shots on this, and I don't see it being a good idea to mess with the settings he wants. Otherwise, I'd be doing it with the IP addresses.

Mr_Q: I have 1 WINXP and 1 WIN2K PC and they talk fine.

Have you removed the check next to Simple Networking? This will allow you to set specific security settings just like NT and 2K.

NetBEUI is included on the XP disk, but it's not part of the standard install as MS are no longer supporting it.

I think it's in the Extras folder of the CD but can't remember exactly where off the top of my head.

Rgds

AndyF

I found it, and it works, but it's slow as hell even to shared folders. At least I got it tho.

I gotta book here, but I'll try to remember to post where NetBEUI is at on the RC1 disc.

i have also 2 puters..1 win2k other winxp..i don't have anyproblems getting from 1 computer to the other computer..just run the wizzard and it will work without netbui..also don't have a problem with sharing my printer