Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chucken

No login window ?

This is probably a stupid question but anyway..

I installed WinXP RC1 on a computer at work and it worked just fine but when I install it at home it does not look quite the same. For instance, I dont get the standard NT/2000 login window when I start up the system, instead I get a welcome picture and then my account (administrator) is automatically logged in. Also, when I press ctrl-alt-del I get to the Task Manager directly and not the usual window. The two installations are indentical with the difference that the first computer is connected to a domain, but this doesnt matter in Win2k so why should it here ?

Check under control panel/user accounts/change the way users log on or off and disable the welcome screen and turn off fast user switching and it will act more like win2k, also setting a password will not automatically log you on.

Being that your part of a domain at work the XP install there probably already did the steps mentioned above.

I'm guessing you didn't add extra users when asked during setup. If you add at least one user (ie. yourself :)) it shows on the welcome screen. Unfortunately (or stupidly IMHO) all the users you add during setup are administrators with no passwords!!!!!

You can add a password in XP later so it’s no biggie smile

Just go to control panel -> user accounts