Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HELLBRINGER

COMPRESSED AIR in monitor... OK???

This isnt Win2k related. But its hardware related.

Is it safe to spray compressed air into a monitor to clean it? I wasnt completely sure. I dont see any problem with it but I want to make sure before I do it.

The reason is it seems really dirty, at least it gets really HOT to where it emits a burning plastic smell that I dont like. So maybe it needs cleaned.

Let me know thanks.

sorry I have no idea if its ok or not,just wanted ur opinion for the monitor-a friend is about to get SM-755DF and we couldnt find any info for them(only russian sites with nothing of walue)

Hmmm. Well I'm using teh 753DF and its a great monitor. I love it. It doesnt have the best color but you'll only notice it if you compare right next to a Sony Trinitron, cause they have really good color. The color depth is not as high as most monitors. But the monitor it self is very high quality. Its physically built well. The stand takes up a good 15' monitor size, so it saves space. Its on-screen menues are really good and it has degauss feature. Its flat... Lots great and is VERY clear compared to most monitors. It is more clean than Sony Trinitron monitors in some cases. It is a very good monitor.

If you don't want to spend the extra money for a nicer monitor, then this one is great. For the price it is a kick *** deal.

Does anyone know if its safe to use compressed air inside a monitor?

I don't see that it should cause a problem provided the monitor is unplugged whilst your doing it.

If you're doing it through the casing, it should be fairly straight forward.

If you're going to remove the casing, be careful as there are very high voltages inside that cause you serious amounts of pain if you touch the wrong part.

You probably want to keep the spray away from the tube and anythign else delicate.

Compressed air will not harm the monitor. You will however end up shuffling dust around inside it. Blowing air in the monitor wont help. If the case is dusty around the vents you might want to use a vacuum.

How about I open the casing when it is on and dip my hands in a bowl of water and then touch anything that looks dangerous inside the monitor.

smile

Well what do you suggest is the best thing to do because this thing makes that smell every once in a while. Although I havent smelled it in a while.

Funny. Well I'd advise against the bowl of water thing. ;-) Open the case and get the dust off the components and tube just becareful around the yoke. If you bump into it you can throw off the convergence blah blah blah and it costs $$$ to fix. I open my Sony 20" every once in a while to clean it. No problems so far.

GPR

PS You void warranty by opening your monitor, but you knew that already. smile

OK

Compressed air will not hurt anything inside the monitor, as long as the monitor is turned of or unplugged. Using a vaccum may be a good idea to get gunk of the sides and top, so i would try that as well. I would recommend not to take of the case unless you know alot about electronics. A capacitor to an engineer could be a hand rest to the lay person, and dont misjudge this warning that they states "not to open the case", it has a very good chane of killing you if you get shocked, depending on how much charge the caps are holding.

I have used compressed air beofre as a means of cleaning out a dirty monitor, but i used a vacumm as well.

I'll be fine I am not an idiot. LOL...

I think I will not even get close to a capacitor... SOB has to hold thousands of volts of power. Probably would kill me too. Fun...

I will probably make my little brother do it! LOL... J/K wink

actually...heh.....they hold charge...not volts....and power isnt a measure of volts.....hehehehehehe

it all depends on the resistance they see across thier terminals that determines how much current they throw out (current ACROSS a certain resistance is volts).

smile

Sorry...I couldnt resist

just bein a smartass

Actually a tech friend of mine works with a lot of older equipment as part of his job and anyways...he always uses compressed air and a VERY strong vacuum cleaner. Like a shop vac or something along those lines.

Spray the compressed air down into the monitor stirring up the dust and at the same time turn on the vacuum hence sucking up a lot of the dust being stirred up. It has worked great for me. Sure beats taking the cover off! laugh