Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atlas

Win2k "Corrupt File Copy" from install CD! Help pl

Hey everyone, this is my first post here so I hope you all can help me out.

Im trying to install win2k SP1 onto a newly built comp. Its a Duron 900 on an Abit KT7-a with 128MB Infineon RAM, a Maxtor DiamondMax 20gb 7200 rpm HD, and an ati pro 32MB video card.

Heres the problem, and its odd because Ive used this CD and parts combination a number of times before:

When installing, the installation process is unable to copy the following files from the CD: mfc40, mfc40u, mfc42, mfc42u, and shell32.dll(all 5 are dlls). I get a similar message for around 20 or so other files, but they copy ok after a few retrys. Obviously the install crashes shortly afterward without these files. This is a SP1 cd that I created from my original win2k professional cd. I originally thought maybe the disk was corrupt, so I created a new SP2 integrated CD, and again the same problem. I switched in another CD-Rom and again the same problem. There is also a SB Ensonique 16 sound card, and a dlink network card in this system.

The processor is staying at 34 deg C, and I format the HD every time I try the install. Im at my wits end with this, and am open to any suggestions.

Anyone who has any ideas it will be greatly appreciated!!

Atlas

i've had this problem too, the cd worked fine on most systems, but on some i would get what you get (not the same corrupt files though), try taking the cd out an cleaning it, if possible, use a different cdrom. i have found not way to fix this, can anyone else help?

Either the CD itself or the ram reading it. Tranfers of data to the motherboard memory cache do not operate normally. Since the CD worked before and if it is now clean, a ram operation problem is involved.

what chipset of motherboard are you using?

if it's via, then you should dl the 4in1 drivers, because it's known to have transfer problem w/ bad ms IDE drivers

Its a KT7-a which uses the VIA KT133 chipset. Remember though that this is a clean install so I cant really load motherboard drivers until I get the OS on to the computer.

true, have you ran crc.exe on the cdrom's volume? might be a small problem with the burn, i doubt it though since you've used it before and it installed fine. If it's a RAM problem, try taking some out and try changing the CAS Latency in the bios, and make sure you have not got the CPU Overclocked.

Is the hard drive and CDrom on the same cable?

I have seen this cause the problem you are explaining.

I've had this problem before - it was due to a bad RAM stick - swapped it out, and the install went fine.

You may want to check your RAM - maybe only use 1 stick until Windows is installed.

Rgds

AndyF