Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FOB2k

NTFS questions

I've been using Windows 2000 and XP w/ FAT32 partition and I heard that NTFS is a much better file system for NT kernel.

I know that if I use a Win98 boot disc to boot the machine, it will not see the NTFS partition, AND the next FAT32 partition will replace the NTFS drive letter. This causes a big mess in my system.

So here's a question for you experts.

1. If I convert my drives to NTFS, how can I go to a pure DOS environment, say I need to flash BIOS for my motherboard?

2. And how do you format or fdisk on NTFS partition? This is completely different from FAT32

3. any NTFS tools out there that you recommend?

thanks for replying in advance

It all depends what you want to do in pure dos mode.

You have to understand that in pure dos mode your NTFS partitions will not be detected!

So if you only want to upgrade your bios just format a disk in a command prompt "format a: /s " and copy your flash file and program to the disk and reboot with the disk.

Fdisk is a very primitive partition tool...

So if you want to manipulate partitions I recommend the you use partition magic, in that program you can choose if you want to create partitions, delete partitions alter file systems etc...

But be warned, if you choose to format a FAT 32 file system to NTFS all your data will be lost in that partition.

And for question 3 I don’t really know of any good NTFS tools, it all depends on what you want to do?

But I recommend partition magic anyway...

Good luck!

On NTFS I have never been in need of tools like scandisk or disk doctor. I only used Norton Speeddisk, worked fine on NTFS4. On NTFS5 only built-in optimizer works. May be in Norton Systemworks 2002?

WinXP creates DOS diskettes with ease.

thanks for all the help!

one more question before i turn to NTFS...are there any drawbacks for having NTFS and not FAT32? besides win98 wont see NTFS partition