Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Down8

Free mail server for Win2K Server?

I've been having problems sending through my ISP, so I'm looking for something to send mail through my own server. I have SMTP installed, but I don't have Exchange or anything, and I don't feel like spending any moeny on this, as it'd be less troubl to just send from the web.

Any suggestions on mail servers, or a place to look for more info on them?

-bZj

If you are just looking for something to forward email out, you should be able to do it with the SMTP service in Win2K. Are you looking to host email as well? If so, do you have a domain name registered for that server?

No, I don't want to host e-mail, I don't want to both adminning my own domain right now. I just want to be able to use myserver for my outgoing mail. I played with this once before, but as I remember, I didn't get it working correctly. I think I'll read through Win2K help some more, but do let me know if you can point me in the right direction.

-bZj

use smtp with iis, and allow relaying. Then you let your iis machine send email. Just be careful though, if you leave the port open with out a firewall some one can spam through it.

OK, I got parts working.

I set outgoing server as 'localhost', and Outlook2K seemed to send the mail fine, but it didn't actually go through. I checked the queue, and it's just sitting there.

Any ideas?

-bzj

check to see if service is running, and then see if you ahve reaying enabled. Anyone else have any other ideas? You have any firewall or filtering stuff going on?

I did enable relaying, and the service was running, but I'm also using BlackICE. How would I check to see if that's causing the problems?

-bZj

Screw BlackICE use ZoneAlarm... It can allow things for server, and you can choose what you want! ZA is great! I suggest you DL it right now.

I want to host e-mail on my domain on my server. No relay sh1t can anyone help me with that?

I'm sure ZoneLabs would appreciate your praise, but I had problems with ZoneAlarm, not the least of which was that it would only run under the Administrator account. So, I figure BlackICE is better than nothing.

-bZj

I had problems with it too. You have to work with it. Fiddle with it. After a while I got it to work great on my Win2k Server.

Yeah they should hire me and pay me lots of money... Uhhhh... *shoes clacking as HELLBRINGER runs off in distance*