Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cryptix

XP Power Button Shutdown Problem!!!

frown Ok, on both my Desktop and my Laptop whenever I press the Power Button to Shutdown I always get a message saying that there is a User logged on (Me) and you'll dump them, do you wish to continue? Is there *any* way to turn this off, it's driving me nuts! It's done this to me on 2419, 2495, and 2505 RC1

Please Help!

Thx,

cryptix

are you doing this with the actual computer's power button, or with the "Start > Turn off Computer > Turn Off" way?

Eddie: I'm using the power buttons on both my tower and laptop. If I use Start->Shutdown->Turn Off then this message doesn't come up. I've yet to find any setting to turn this off although I haven't gone digging in the registry yet. If I go to the Network Tab in the Task Manager I'm the only user logged on so I don't know why it's popping this message up. Win2000 Pro has never done this.

Thx,

cryptix

Hmmm, well, i tried doing what you are doing and it does the same thing for me, i'm guessing it's a safty measure (if ya wanna call it that). Try checking in the Local Security Policy or use X-Setup and look for this particular setting, i don't blame you for not wanting to search the registry. For now though you may have to spare the extra time to navigate the start menu to shutdown your computer.

I'll look around a little tonight and get back to you tomorrow.

Eddie: Yeah, going through the Reg. is a pain and I just don't have the time right now. I did kind of bypass this issue by having my systems hibernate instead of shutting down. If you find a solution before I do then thanks!

cryptix

i searched through all Security Policies and the registry using X-Setup and Tweak XP, i haven't had any luck so far, i've seen some options in XP that lets you choose what happens when yuou hit the Power Button, i'm guessing you already tried that. The only thing i can tell you is the navigate the shutdown menu to shutdown, hibernate, or just wait until someone finds a solution.

Eddie: will do and thanks for trying. Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to dig into the Reg.

Thx,

cryptix

No problem man, i hope you can find a way to fix this annoying error, BTW, have you tried enabling the AutoEndTasks in the registry?