Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gemfire James

Maxtor 100GB Hard Drives, really worth it?

Just asking for opinions here, but why oh why is Maxtor making these huge *** IDE hard drives? I've seen things like 40, 60, 80, 100 GB hard drives, in my opinion, it's a waste of time to even get a drive that big considering the most that goes on those things is your OS, and a few applications, the rest is on CD. What do you guys think?

I remember saying something like that when my father purchased a new computer years ago. It had a 2.5Gb hard drive and I said something like, "I'll never fill that up." Filled it up. I have a 13.6Gb drive in my computer now, almost completely filled. 100Gb drive is no different. Someone will fill it up, if not with today's applications but certainly tomorrow's.

I love to 100G hehe that will come in real handy for Schedulering High Quality MPEG2 capturing hehe

If you want a lot of mp3, divx, iso files on your drive then go with the 100gig. I have 40gig and 15gig and I'm going to fill them by the end of the year at the rate I'm going. I use to have a 4.3 gig I thought I would never fill *~laughs~*

I agree, I've had some good luck with Maxtor drives..... My dad has a 6.8Gb Maxtor in his system, still running great, and I have a 13.6Gb ATA/66 7200rpm drive that has never given me any problems.

I have had great luck and speed out of maxtor drives. My main system has a 40gig ata 100 5400rpm and a 15gig ata 66 7200. My wife's mahcine has my old 4.3 gig ata 33 maxtor and then I have an anciet maxtor that is 512mb that still works.

Maxtor is Bad.!

Stay away from it.

get IBM, Quantum, Western Digital

in that order.

if not 100Gb get 80 or 75. You will use it. And make sure it is 7200 RPM and 2MB cache at least.

Maxtor fails. very low quality

And of course those statements are simply your opinion. Speaking of Quantum, a friend of mine has had some trouble with them. Although he does have an old Quantum Bigfoot drive that still works, heh.

My opinion is a bit different smile

This is my job guys not my Hobby. My company (I own it) also spe[censored]e in disaster recovery. We are based in london and for some reason we get a sh1t load of Maxtors with other people's accounting Data, DB's etc.

But at the end of the day it is how lucky you are and how do you use it. In what environment? How good is your PSU, do you have Power cuts, is the drive attached properly (makes a lot of difference on fast drives) is your machine over clocked (gets too hot too quick).

You do have to take all those in to account.

At my home I have a box full of old HDD's 512Mb to 16GB. Which some were left over from my free-lance days. all of them were in working condition when i put them there. There is no maxtor in them! wink

Makes you think why does it not.

;(

Personally I wont touch Maxtor HD's.

This is both from a personal (home PC building for self and friends) and professional (Sys Admin for a large company in the UK) point of view.

I've seen far too many of them fail or start to fail when they are in reality rather young.

At home I have 4x 60GB IBM HD's in a great RAID 0+1 array giving me 120GB of useable (and fault tollerance) space, OK not as cheap as going for a single large drive, but performance and reliability is better this way smile

I've had hard drives fail at home and for work's sake. Overall I think all manufactures have some bad drives, but sell millions of good drives. I've had bad and good of all sorts of brands, some not even around anymore. Earlier some one said this is opinion, and it always will be. It happens at different levels of computing. Which video card is the best, what cpu is the best, what ram is the best, etc.

Maxtor are good drive it the shipper sometime trucker that make the problem for harddisk manufacturers make them look bad some gose any other harddisk manufacturers.

I had Maxtor, WD, Conner and min other over the for yrs.

yep, only drives i've ever used are maxtors, I still have a very old 100 MB drive that has been around for 7 years and still runs, so i don't think maxtor's drives are failing "a lot" lately. Your just having bad luck.

I agree with bladerunner as I said earlier.

IBM is not cheap but definetly worth it. I need the capacity so I go for 4x75GB all working singular config.