Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ParaDoX

Noisy soundcard

I have a Hercules Fortissimo II soundcard, based on the CS4624 chip. I'm having problems with the soundcard being really noisy, so much noise that you can't hear anything else but the noise. It happens when playing HL (haven't tried any other games yet), some times it won't noise, but when the noise starts (it doesnt start in the middle of the game, just when I restart HL) I have to reboot XP to get rid of it. When playing mp3's it works fine, except if I use the keyboard shortcuts (MS Inet pro) to stop/next song/etc, then it will noise. I've tried the original drivers from Hercules, drivers from Cirrus Logic, and the Santacruz WinXP beta drivers (they were compatible with the CS4624 chip).

Anyone who's experienced this problem, or might know a solution to this?

I'm running build 2505 of XP.

As per earlier post on the game theater xp take out 256meg of ram

worked for me in rc1

Using only 256mb ram didn't work, thanks for the tip anyway. Guess I'll have to wait for new drivers from Hercules.

Something strange though... I tried to apply the largepageminimum and sysparse reg fixes for Win2k, just as a last option. This totally messed up the sound, it would noise at all times, so I had to reinstall XP (forgot to take backup of the old settings).

i have sblive and via motherboard

the crackling still exists in xp