Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fnorg

Halflife again :)

Hi!

Actually I have 2 questions.

One is that my opengl game does not work in HL. I have installed RC1 2505 ok, with the default drivers. But HL complains that my video card does not support opengl. I have a Geforce 1 DDR (Annihilator pro). I have just read I another thread that I have to upgrade my drivers to version 12.41 to work, I will do that as soon I get home smile

But when I change to D3D, I get some other problems. When I try to go to the configuration page (pressing 'esc') the configuration page is black and I am not able to configure anything frown

Any thoughts about this, or is it just to upgrade the drivers?

Personally I think it should work with the default drivers...

I have used 12.40 drivers in both 98 and 2000 without any problems.

Sincerely

Fnorg

As far as I can tell, that black screen in HL using D3D is irritating, an leaves me wondering why Sierra hasn't fixed it.

Games will work best with the vid card drivers installed. Unless you like running in software mode...

I have installed the nvidia 12.41 drivers and the D3D black screen bug is fixed. But I cannot play HL in opengl. After a while the game locks and the sound stutters. I cannot use 'esc' 'tab' or 'ctrl-alt-del’!!!

I have installed the AMD AGP patch and the win 2000 registry fix. So I don’t know what to do more. But the game works fine in D3D.

I have an Athlon 700 (not clocked)

Asus K7M motherboard

Geforce 1 DDR (Annihilator Pro) from Creative.

SoundBlaster Live value

All the latest Drivers installed to both soundcard and video card.

Latest bios to K7M.

The Video drivers that ship with Windows have never included an Opengl ICD. Install WinME and you'll find the same result. For Opengl support you always have to download drivers from the IHV/OEM.

what ??

I always play games in opengl (geforce2 card) and play them on RC1.

I did not install a new driver and just used the default and opelgl has always worked so I assume it is included afterall.

Hmmm... If it works in Opengl mode out-of-the-box there must be some other explanation. There never has been Opengl support in drivers shipping in the OS. It would be nice if there was, but unfortunately for casual users there is not (gamers know to download the latest drivers). Because of this, games that only support Opengl are getting the EmulateOpengl appfix, which translates Opengl calls to D3D. Half-life does not have that appfix applied to it. Alice, FAKK2, Kingpin, Soldier of Fortune, Quake 3 are all games that use EmulateOpengl if Opengl-capable drivers are not present, and will work out-of-the-box.

I just tried what you suggested on a Geforce 2 with RC1 (and build 2519). When I clean install and run Half-Life, switch to Opengl, and try to start a game I get the following error:

"The selected OpenGL mode is not supported by your video card."

You must have installed external video drivers.

-S

sorry, I usually do update the drivers I agree ( included Nvidia drivers in Windows mostly suck bigtime) but since RC 1 had 12.40 drivers in I just let them in, since they seemed to be allright.

and I installed RC1 on a fresh formatted partition.

I still am running 12.40 as we speak so I haven't upgraded and forgot along the way.

I still have the movement problem though, maybe that has something to do with it. I might just try upgrading to 14.20 drivers.

Maybe that helps.