Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alexis

XP activation

After reading through this discussion forum, it seems a lot of you are familiar with XP. I not yet had a chance to sample WXP, but am curious about the whole activation process. I heard conflicting information about the licensing process. Is it as big a deal as everyone is saying, or are these articles legit?

http://www.microsoft.com/PressPass/newsroom/piracy/productactivationfs.asp

http://computers.lycos.com/software/xp.asp

Today I installed XP RC1 over my XP Beta2 installation.

Activation took me less than a minute over the Internet.

Prior to this, I swapped CPU, Video Card & added a new HD without Beta2 activation prompting me to re-activate.

Personally I feel everyone is over-acting about the whole thing.

Hypothetically, if you don’t activate your XP, can you use windows update? wink

I don't like it. I plan on buying the OS and then cracking the WPA ASAP. I am personally offended by the concept that I have to get permission to use something after I have paid my $$$ for it. I've never thought doing WPA would be all that tough. It is a TERRIBLE idea that will do NOTHING to stop piracy.

Just my 2 cents.

I will NOT experience the activation process. I don't care if its as easy as getting a glass of water. To me it is insulting and is going to do absolutely nothing to slow down piracy. It's rather all about gaining even more control over the end user than M$ has already. Its a GREAT OS. I encourage everyone to BUY the OS and the crack the WPA.

Now I got 4 cents in this conversation heheheh

Well, if your hell bent of going around the '30 second' activation process when it doesn't in any way compromise personal information on your computer then can I just issue with the following warning:

If MS release any major updates for XP, Service Packs and large update files, please backup all your data first.

There is a very good chance that when SP's are installed under XP and they detect that the OS has been hacked or cracked in any way they will make your system un-useable.

Have you ever stolen software in the past?

Do you really support theft?

I guess I'll ask you again if your car is stolen.

Did you know that most 'organisations' that crack software on a grand scale are also involved in drugs, prostitution and other organised crime?

Do you support those activities too?

To everyone who has ever stolen software before, you are to blame for product activation - so live with the mistakes you have created.

Quote:

Well, if your hell bent of going around the '30 second' activation process when it doesn't in any way compromise personal information on your computer then can I just issue with the following warning:

If MS release any major updates for XP, Service Packs and large update files, please backup all your data first.
There is a very good chance that when SP's are installed under XP and they detect that the OS has been hacked or cracked in any way they will make your system un-useable.

Did you know that most 'organisations' that crack software on a grand scale are also involved in drugs, prostitution and other organised crime?

To everyone who has ever stolen software before, you are to blame for product activation - so live with the mistakes you have created.

Read my earlier posts. I don't WANT to experience the activation scheme. I find it insulting. If it took 5 seconds I would not find it any less so. Also read how I encourage folks to BUY the OS.

If I wreck my data by doing so, then thats the risk I readily take. Won't be anyone else's fault but my own. Same as when I overclock my CPU. It's a chance I accept.

I never mentioned once in this thread anything about privacy, advocating software theft, nor do I advocate other illegal activities you mention.

You suggestion that by not disagreeing with WPA means that I either participate or advocate any of this sort of behavior is equally insulting as WPA. I also fail to see what my car ever being stolen has to do with this.

And to take your argument about illegal activities in the direction of real fact, how about the fact that M$ is now a LEGALLY ADJUDICATED MONOPOLIST? Just because they say WPA is to prevent piracy is supposed to make me believe them??? hehehe I think not.

I guess now I got 12 cents or so worth into this discussion now.

Read my earlier posts. I don't WANT to experience the activation scheme. I find it insulting. Also read how I encourage folks to BUY the OS.

If I wreck my data by doing so, then thats the risk I readily take. Won't be anyone else's fault but my own. Same as when I overclock my CPU. It's a chance I accept.

I never mentioned once in this thread anything about privacy, advocating software theft nor do I advocate other illegal activities.

You suggestion that by not disagreeing with WPA means that I either participate or advocate any of this sort of behavior is equally insulting as WPA. I also fail to see what my car ever being stolen has to do with this.

And to take your argument about illegal activities in the direction of real fact, how about the fact that M$ is now a LEGALLY ADJUDICATED MONOPOLIST? Just because they say WPA is to prevent piracy is supposed to make me believe them??? hehehe I think not.

I guess now I got 12 cents or so worth into this discussion now.

Quote:

It's gonna take a hell of alot more then 30 seconds when you upgrade enough of your system to messup the activation.

Quote:

Unlikely. ::laughs:: They may make the OS unusable but they aren't going to destroy data on your Hard drive.

Going down to the store and buying windows XP and installing it and cracking the activation is NOT stealing anything.