Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
subBlue

Removing desktop icon text shadow? (really bad with cleartyp

Is there a way to remove the shadows under the names of the desktop icons - when yuo have cleartype font smoothing activated the shadows are reaaly bad making it very difficult to read the icon's text!

there must be a setting somewhere?

Tom

Yes there is a setting; and Sorry I can't remeber off the top of my head. I just deleted the XP249? partition and haven't yet installed RC1.

Just a question. Are you talking about a Laptop or a desktop with an LCD monitor? I ask because ClearType is designed for LCD screens. If you have a normal CRT display use the Standard Font Smoothing. It really looked great on mine.

personally i think cleartype rocks...definately a step in the right direction.

i can't wait to see it on my laptop!

in the past I have run screen font smoothing and also would run in a higher res with larger font sizes just to get clean readable type. Something that makes the type readable at lower resolutions is the sort of thing Microsoft *should* be focussing their energies on. It affects every aspect of every applications and every use of everything people do on their computer.

:}

i think cleartype works with LCD screen and some flat screen CRT monitor.

With clear type font, my Sony Multiscan E200 17in shows the fonts much better! i really love this feature!

I dont see any real answer to the question here so I post it smile

You can deactivate cleartype in display properties\appearance\effects

If I remember, When I first loaded XP, the desktop fonts had shadows and were not in colored boxes. I know that you can set it for Cleartype font in properties/appearance/effects, but there is still the same old fonts in the colored boxes under each Icon.....How can I set it back up for the shadowed fonts on the desktop???

Quote:

How can I set it back up for the shadowed fonts on the desktop???
right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Performance Settings -> "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"

Thanks for the reply. There must be something not right about either my Monitor driver or Radeon Video driver. That selection in the advanced settings has no effect on the desktop fonts at all....Thanks

Quote:

There must be something not right about Radeon Video driver.

Hardly surprising, ATI have the worst driver support in the business...

I tried ClearType once just to see what the fuss was about and it looked like utter crap. My aging monitor probably had a lot to do with that (it has a slight convergence problem in addition to overall brightness issues) but even seeing CT in screenshots lookes ****. I'll give it another go when I get a better monitor but right now I'm not terribly impressed.

Their drivers aren't that bad, @ least not anymore. I thought that they were the cause of some probs I was having & still are, but eventually realised that my soundcard was the culprit.