Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Avalanche

x-server

Well I couldn't have screwed up more.

Linux can't start the x-server now cause it can't resolve the refresh rate of my monitor.

The thing is I have no idea how to configire X from the command prompt.

What I did was install the nvidia kernel and driver set from the RMP download on nvidia.com. I went into the display properties and looked for the drivers I just installed, and they weren't there, so I figured I had a bit of text editing in the drivers to dobefore they would be detected, like punkisdead said in the thread we were in before.

Well, Linux said it had to restart X because of changes made to the display settings. I was pretty sure I didn't make any changes, but being new to this Linux thing I figured I'd just let it do what it wants. So X shuts down, and the monitor goes hazy for a few seconds, and tries to start up again, but can't so I just get a command prompt.

That's where I'm at. I'm writing this from *shudder* windows :-) cause I don't know how to get X to start up again. I'm thinking about reinstalling linux, cause it really doesn't take very long, and I don't have anything major invested in this install anyway.

If anybody can give me info on how to get X to start up again I'd be appreciative.

Thanks.

when you type lsmod in the command prompt you should see NVdriver listed, if not you need to try to insmod NVdriver. If you do see it loaded you are going to need to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file because when you load nvidia's glx package it overwrites some of the mesa files, such as libGL.so and so forth.

In the command prompt as root type:

vi /etc/X11/XF86Config

you should see a screen full of text

The lines you want to look for are as follows:

scroll down to the section labeled "Module" press either the insert key or i and now the bottom of your screen should say --INSERT-- add a line that reads, if there isn't one:

Load "glx"

and then comment out:

#Load "dri"

under section "Device" change

Driver "nv"

to read as

Driver "nvidia"

Lastly at the very end of the file comment out the section

#Section "DRI"

# Mode 0666

#End Section

Then hit Esc to get out of --INSERT-- mode. Type without the quotes ":wq" then hit enter.

Now you should be able to startx

If you are still having problems email me a copy of your /etc/X11/XF86Config file and list in the message what monitor you have, mouse ( usb, ps/2) , to punkisd3ad@attbi.com