Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cardinal

Someone run me through file sharing on two w2k boxes. Please

Hello. How are you? Good? That's great.

I am running a peer to peer LAN at my place. Two Win2k boxes on a simple CAT5 crossover cable.

The gateway machine has two NICS. What I need help in achieving is to get these two pc's to be able to use each others hard drives as a mapped network drive that is always available. These two pc's are always on so offline files (ugh) are not necessary.

The guest account is disabled on both of these machine. Both of them are running win2k Professional. They have the same Workgroup name.

They are also sharing a cable connection.

I don't want to have to type a password every time I logon also.

So, could you help? wink

Cardinal. (Gwilym)

Just add your account on both boxes, same username and password. Make yourself part of the admin group on both boxes. Then map a drive to the admin share. Such as \\mycomputer\c$.

It sounds like you used my directions from the previous post to make both machines members of the same workgroup, is that correct? Follow kgeissler's advice and map the admin share for full drive access on both machines, then use TweakUI to create the Autologon keys in the registry that will allow you simply boot up and be ready to go. However, I don't know where you can get a copy of that wonderful utility anymore, but I am sure someone else here knows.

smile