Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HELLBRINGER

Netgear = CRAP!!!!!

I have bought a few products from Netgear only to find out they are pieces of sh1t and their drivers suck and don't work or barely work. The only advanted of some of their NICs is they are pretty fast, thats if you can get the damn things to work in the first place.

Their HUBs and switches SUCK *** too!

This is my opinion. I have dealt with it my self and seen others deal with it. CRAP!

Anyone agree or disagree? Good points please.

I've used there switches before, and a friend uses there hubs along with some of there network cards. Works fine.

Our local supplier moved away from Intel mini-hub's & switches to Netgear ones.

These are cheaper and actually feel better quality than the plastic of the Intel's.

We have had no problems with the following Netgear products:

4 Port 10/100 Hub

8 Port 10/100 Hub

8 Port 10/100 Switch

I have:

1 4-port 10Mb hub

1 5-port 100Mb switch

2 4-port 100Mb hubs

2 8-port 100Mb hubs

They have all worked fine for me.

Personally I can't comment on their NIC's as I only use 3-Com's & Intel's in everything I build/buy.

Well I am keeping to D-Link right now. Very reliable for me. I have their switches and NICs and everything works great.

Well I am keeping to D-Link right now. Very reliable for me. I have their switches and NICs and everything works great.

If money is no object 3Com rules.

I do not like Intels Ifind them sloppy,

And Netgear I had so many of them faulty or breaking down in 2 weeks i never ever touch the stuff again ever!

In my opinion I can build a better quality and more reliable Hub with paper clips and aluminium Folio! smile

And Netgear Card are again the similar storry. i mean how can you ever manage to screw up something so basic as a NIC driver? I have not used their cards enough to comment beyond this.

I have had terrific performance from Intel Pro/100 Management Adapters, whereas I don't care for the drivers of 3Com NICs. Different people, different equipment.

smile

Well I was talking about Netgear. I like some of the Intel NICs, I dont care much for their switches and hubs and routers and stuff.

3COM is really good but they are not as good as they use too and their stuff is over rated. Their drivers are pretty good though.

Money is an issue with me. So I went with D-Link. I have NEVER had a problem with them. I have used Netgear switches, hubs, and NICs and have always had some sort of problem with them. One time I couldnt even get the damn card to work no matter how I installed the drivers. Musta been a faulty card. But I don't trust Netgear. The only good thing their stuff is good for is it look cool and has a pretty blue. Awesome looking paper weight anyone?

we sold Netgear products for over 3/4 year and stopped after too many troubles with either NICs, switches and Routers. Cheap, but unstable. (understand me right: in percentage of sold units we had 2-3 times more defective / inproper devices than from other manufaturers)

What has proved to be stable over longer periods are 3Com - now better again, after a quality hole of about two years with NIC´s they seem to be back to better quality - and (at least in Europe) D-Link.

3Com - best for NIC´s, good, but quite overpriced in active Network devices and hubs.

D-Link - everything good and stable, low price cards are medium-performers. Active devices and hubs/routers are very well-priced.

Both offer excellent service in Europe, though D-Link´s RMA works amazingly faster.

But be it Netgear, Surecom or thatever - we experienced too much troubles with those.

Intel we never distributed, and my few own experiences are not representative enough to tell anything

Have fun

Llion

You are right on the money there.

The only thing from Netgear I actually got to work was a HUB, and it didnt work very well at all. Sometimes it would not detect a computer that was on.

I never had success with their NICs and their drivers are terrible. Their support, is not support and they are not very well priced.

3COM are good but too pricy. I like their products. But for a good stability to price ratio, I have found D-Link to be the best. They may not be the fastest network products out there, but at least they work and are VERY compatible.

That has been my expierence. That's why I say Netgear is crap. Or at least question it.

I used to have a LinkSuxs, but heard about the NetGear RT314 from a friend. Will never go back. The only gripe I have with the company is the Tech Support (Or lack of) They are slow at putting out firmware, which surprised me about a company that put out a good piece of hardware. Are you sure you weren't talking about Linksys? hehehe...

Got a D-Link in one rig and a Linksys in the other. The other 3 rigs use Realtek 8029-based cards and we got D-Link Gateway and hub. And this is at home too with DSL:D

I live in my parents basement and am a social leech:D

Very sure. I have had so many frustrations with Netgear I said screw it! Been buying D-Link since and never had a problem...

Are these LinkSys switches good? I see a lot of them. Are the cheaper than D-Link or something?

My experience with Netgear has been great. FA310TX NIC that has been going stable and fast for over a year now. Linksys isn't the greatest but this FA310TX will be my "budget" (25 bucks) card for now. I tried a Linksys Cable/DSL Router and something didn't work quite right and I got mad ping spikes in Counter-Strike, am using a dedicated server machine w/ Win2k Server Routing and Remote Access (NAT) now to share internet.

Hellbringer, what version of the Netgear NIC's are you using. the 310's are pretty good. The ****in 311's suck ***! they are the cheaper/smaller version of the netgear. I've personally bought and installed 15 netgear cards, in servers and desktops alike and never had one give me ****. The drivers are supported by Win200 automatically, no need to install anything. I bought 1 311 because I thought they discontinued the 310, and I cant believe how crappy those things are, I dont even remember how I got it to work, but it was lame. Took it back, found a place that still sells 310's and bought it. Works great. Also, I have 2 8pt switches, and 1 4pt HUBS from them and never had a problem with them. Wait, I have a 4pt switch as well. Never any problems. Personally, Id choose 3com or Intel any day of the week for NIC's though. For simple solutions, on home computers, Netgear 310's are good!

Just my experience. Id nver by a 311 again.. the 312's look kinda cool cause they have the WAL hookup.

j

The 311... Musta been just that card then... But I have had probs with other Netgears other than the 311s.

Oh well... I will be fine as I am.

The Netgear use's telnet, hyperterminal (Direct cable connection) and with the new firmware, A web based GUI with most of the advanced functions.