Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HELLBRINGER

Registry crap problem when trying to install *SOME* programs

It seems on *SOME* programs I try to install I get this interesting error.

TITLE BAR SAYS: 16 bit Windows Subsystem

MESSAGE SAYS: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers. VDD. Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid. Choose 'Close' to terminiate the application.

BUTTONS: Close and Ignore.

Trying to get the damn program to install I click ignore. Everything seems to install fine. So you are probably saying "Deal with it!". But with as much stuff as I do on my system this little error gets annyoing. I am not an registry expert so I am asking for help. I tried getting Norton Utilities because I know it has fixed some registry errors for me. I know of other programs that I think exist but havent got to them yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Programs to fix this? Or a manual way of fixing it?

Thanks.

I have the same problem. Only the message I originally got was related to Norton's SYMEVT.SYS. It happened after I reinstalled Win2K over itself and NAV wouldn't load. I installed the Sevinst.exe update/fix from Symantec and that cured the problem with NAV.

I then deleted the symevent.sys reference from the registry and recently get the same 'generic' message you have. But only when installing programs that have 16bit code in the installer.

I click "ignore" and have no other problems!!

I just checked and now it has a Binary entry named VDD with data "C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32evnt1.dll". at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

I don't know if that has fixed the problem or not. I haven't had the error for a couple of days, But maybe nothing I have installed is calling on 16bit routines???

Hmm interesting. So what do I need to do?

Maybe you can run a program installation that you know has 16-bit, then cancle it.

Thanks for responding. I was getting worried. smile

... From # 2...

2.Locate and click the following value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro

l\VirtualDeviceDrivers\VDD

There is no VirtualDeviceDrivers structure in Control!!! WTF!? Do I make it?