Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kieran

W2K slow when first starts after login

Hi, i'm new to Win2K, but i love it. I have one question. when W2k starts up, after all my tray icons have loaded etc, if i click to open a program, there is often a 10-15 second delay before it opens. Once W2k has been running for a while it seems ok, and progs activate really quickly. I used file mon, and the number of calls to files, even when system is fairly idle, seems huge. I know that a prog called encrypt which allows me to access my uk info database is constantly making calls, but even disabling that doesnt help me when i first start w2k up. Is this normal, or can i do anything about it

regards

]Kieran

What services do you have enabled? What about auto start programs?

Sounds like you have a service/app that is taking a long time to start, which is slowing the system down.

AndyF

Do you have a multiprocessor system and an SB with Liveware3 installed? there is a program called devldr32.exe that might be your problem. You can safely rename this and shove it in your startup folder - that might help. Otherwise I suggest reinstalling stuff, and not using the VIA 4in1s. Sorted me out.

Do you have any network drives mapped or such, or are you using a domain. That specific slow down is usually W2k caching some network components, or looking up the machines nearby.

Nope, i have a standalone machine. I have 2 errors that log up in event manager, on says the IRP stack size is invalid, so it is ignoring it, the other says it can't load a startup file 'MFX'

i've tried to repair the IRP stack size (Using Xteq ), but to no avail

and tried to find where my registry loads MFX, but can't

any ideas? or configuarion changes i should make. Regards

Kieran