Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maillion

Installing Firefox

OK, I have used Mandrake and RPM/MDK, and now Debian with apt-get, Synaptic and DEB. I want to install Firefox. I had no prob in Windoze, but I have never used something in tar.gz. It is not source, (I looked inside the file and all the binaries seem to be there. It looks like it has the folders and all.) My guess is that I could extract it like I would with Winzip, but I aven't used Ark before today, and I don't know the options. I'm going to look at the man page for Ark a little later, but does anybody have any suggestions that will help me understand what I will see in the man page? (I'm clueless at this point...) ;(

You only need to type from the command line

tar xzvf <firefox>.tar.gz

This create a directory called firefox. Go into the directory and simply launch the executable called firefox. That's all.

Giorgio

Quote:
You only need to type from the command line
tar xzvf <firefox>.tar.gz
This create a directory called firefox. Go into the directory and simply launch the executable called firefox. That's all.
Giorgio

Yeah, in my efforts to find out how to use Ark, I tried just extracting it into my hom directory, and it works. If I decide to install it permanently, I will do as you say. I am going to copy your post to a file so that I will be able to use it in that case. (The last time I found a good 'future' usable post, I had a hard (impossible) time finding it, until I solved my problem, then I found the post! This time it will be there in my home directory when I need it! Thanks! 8)

Just a specification: once uncompressed and unpacked the tar.gz file, there is nothing more to be instaledl! Firefox is already there and needs only to be launched. This has a main consequence: Firefox is exactly where you unpack the tar file. Thus, if you unpack it in your home directory, the firefox path will be: $HOME/firefox/firefox. If you are root and you want to put it at disposal of each user, unpack it otherwhere: e.g. /usr/local/firefox

Cheers

Giorgio

Thanks. Giorgio.

I unpacked it using Ark into my home directory, and found it to work. I did it by accident in a way, because I was trying to learn how to use Ark, and I tried extracting just to see if it created all the directories or just extracted the files. When I saw that it had created a full directory tree, I tried running it and it worked! Thanks for your help! 8)

Firefox is the first browser I've found since I started using Galeon a year and a half ago that I like better! The fonts are really nice!