Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
markeo

NT4.0 license verses W2K license...

Does anyone know if WK2 server licenses are compatible with the NT4.0 server? My company wants to know if this is possible so that upgrading the licenses later won't be an issue...

Hiya,

One of the good things about Microsoft licenses is that they are backwards compatible.

For example, you purchase a Win2k Server license.

You can legally use that license to run NT4 or even NT3.51 Server.

The version of the product you buy the license for is the latest version it's valid for, but it's also valid for earlier ones.

I've just bought in 10 more licenses for our Office 2k installations here at work.

However I've bought 10x OfficeXP licenses.

I've no intention of rolling OfficeXP out, but I'm covered in the future if I decide to do so.

This 'backwards compatibility' doesn't, as far as I know, extend to OEM licenses.

With OEM you buy a license and it's valid for that version and that version alone.

Thanks a ton BladeRunner. My sales rep told me the same thing (several times), but I always felt odd about it. I am buying Office XP licenses as well so I can continue my Office 2K rollout.

Just a general question - are the XP licenses priced differently (ie more expensive) than the 2000 licenses?

AndyF

The Office XP licenses I just bought in were £10 more expensive than the Office 2k ones I bought in.

However, the last time I bought Office licenses was about 6 months ago, so that could have just been a basic price rise rather than Office XP related.

$15US more per license here. And that changed over the course of a month.