Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Anyone ever found a GART that allows Win2k to recognize more

I know when I had a Via based mobo I found a fix for this but now im on a abit BE6

What exactly is your problem?

I dont know if it is Win2k. It might be drivers, or BIOS. Or VIA drivers...

Quote:

Or VIA drivers...

Except that it's not a VIA board - the BE6 is on the Intel 440BX chipset....

pr-man - how do you know it's not recognizing all of the memory?

well in 3dmark2000 and 2001 it lists agp memeory as 16 megs

I have talked to alot of other people with different cards and they have the same problem. from what i have heard the gart driver in win2k was not made to utilize more than 16 megs of memory for agp

VGARTD.VXD was created as a patch to the dynamic memory manager in Windows 95, to allow this new memory type. Executing textures from main memory is a feature supported by Windows 95 with DirectX* 5.0.

http://support.intel.com/support/technologies/graphics/agp/lk_issues.htm

This memory type is supported without VGARTD.VXD in Windows 98 and Windows 2000: the format of the GART is unspecified and left to the graphic card hardware designer. To see data structures such as texture maps as a contiguous block, AGP hardware is equipped with core logic to translate addresses through a memory-based graphics address remapping table, or GART. This address remapping applies only to a single, programmable range of the system physical address space designated as memory aperture by the Bios. Windows 2000 has nothing to do with that.

Perhaps you refer to the fact that any memory aperture fixed at 16 Megs or less disables the AGP and lets the graphic card operate just as on a PCI bus but with more speed.

3dmark says that I have 32mb AGP - and I have the same chipset as you (440BX).... maybe it's the video card? I have a GeForce2...