Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cipher

4.32 4-1 drivers causing my hard reboots when changing disks

i have a very weird & annoying problem with XP 2495 . When i open the cd draw & change disks, every 5 or so times i do this the machine just reboots itself spontaniously, which is extremely annoying. I installe dhte VIA 4.32 drivers using win2k compat. mode, and it all installed ok, but could this be the problem - is it IDE related??

PS if i were to reinstall XP again over the existing installation would this change all driver, vxd files etc back to normal, or would it *uck it up even more??

thanks frown

Not being an XP user (until RC1 ships), I may be p***ing in the wind, but in Win2k there is an option (Control Panel->System->Advanced->Startup & Recovery) to turn off the automatic reboot so that you can see the information that the BSOD gives you.

If that option is there in XP, try turning it off and see what the error message is.

The 4-in-1 drivers are notoriously buggy - so you may want to install a lower version of the drivers. Also, despite the fact that VIA say their drivers are XP compatible, given the past history of their drivers, I wouldn't be overly surprised if there wasn't any XP functionality in there at all!

Rgds

AndyF