Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ryoko

Can you detect what is opening a port up?

I always have 3 particular ports opened and listening after I boot my pc up(I verified it through netstat and also a shareware program). Is there a program that will detect what program is listening on those ports? This is using win9x, however I'd also like to know with nt and win2k. The ports are above 5000, and looking in various port lists I can't find an app that uses them.

Thank you in advance,

RY

Try to use Languard network scanner, you can scan all open ports in use by some programs in your computer and all other computers belong your network (and others on the net if you know the range IP). Free at www.gfi.com

Thanks for the tip,

I have run port scanners to test my connection, like the one from grc.com, and I tried a few others. I know from netstat that I have ports open, however I specifically block them from my firewall. Therefore even if there is a program opening them, it should (hopefully) be blocked. A portscan will only tell me what ports are open, not what program is opening them. That is what I'm looking for.

-RY

Well, If you were running 2000 or NT, I would start killing process's in Task Manager and do a netstat -n 5 (Will refresh every 5 secs) to isolate what service is opening them. It might not tell you EXACTLY what program it is (Task Manager), but it will get you on the right track.