Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

New to Norton ghost 2001

hi,

i made a bootdisk with cd-rom support but when i restart my computer with that disk in the drive it tells me ntldr is missing. Shouldn't it just boot without caring about ntldr?????

That bootdisk contains all necessary files to boot into msdos, why is it looking for ntldr?

I'll have to say the boot cd was not made properly... in no instance should your system be calling on the ntldr when it boots from an MS-DOS disk (unless you're planning on running NTFS DOS).

The most surefire way of making a cd bootable disk would be by just using nero and telling it... to... make... a bootable CD by doing a floppy disk copy.

Trash Norton Ghost 2001.

Go get Drive Image 4.0 Trial and try it out.

If you like, use it

The disk has some NT files on it and its thinking that the disk is an NTFS. Format the disk properly before making the boot disk with Norton Ghost.

I'd have to agree on using Drive Image though, the interface is a lot nicer then Ghosts (DOS part) - though if you've already shelled out for Ghost, nm I guess. heh.

thanks! i'll give drive image a try. I just want a program to backup my system, i don't care which one :-)

Thank a lot folks! Drive image is great! Ghost wasn't even able to copy an image file to a local drive... Drive image does the job perfecly.

I have been using Norton Ghost for some years now, backing up my PC's and have had no troubles at all. It seems that Drive Image is the thing. Any Idea where I can download a trial version?

You can get the trial at www.powerquest.com

I find drive image much easier to use. Just 3 buttons: "create image", "restore image" and "disk to disk" smile

I've not even been able to use ghost here :), it doesn't want me to make an image on a local ntfs partition.

Norton Ghost won't allow you to make an Image to a local NTFS partition. The only way you can Ghost an image is to ghost it to a second HDD or over the network to a server or another PC. Then you are able to burn an image to CD. Once you have an image you can extract individiual files if required via Ghost explorere. If you have two PC's which are networked via a Hub or a crossover cable, let me know what network cards you are using, and I can create you a boot disk to connect to the other PC and ghost your images. Or you can download Ghost boot disks from www.bootdisk.com

Yes but Ghost does a trick drive image is not even aware of it...

network Cloning smile

You create boot disks with necessary Ndis2 drivers for your Nic's, assign sequential IP's not DHCP.

Boot up and kaboom after defining master and slave A W2k And office partition only takes about 2.5 minutes to write on another machine. No CD's Nothing.

Beat that.

For the ones who are wondering why, Try setting up 20 Computers on a network. They are all the same model and make would you go around, format, w2k, Office 2k, Nav or would you do it from one like I described above smile It takes 1 Hour instead of 2 days

I had a problem with Norton Ghost, everytime the CD had to be changed coz it was full, it threw up an error. The Norton FAQ / support was as much help as a chocolate teapot, and reading it was like reading an instruction book for the space shuttle ..in Russian!!

Anyway i got Powerquest, and it was brilliant,,easy peasy lemon squeezy, no problems or hitches!!!

Does Drive IMage allow me to create an image, and spread it over multiple cds (say the image is 1 gig, it needs 2 cds)?

yes with drive image you can make the size of the images any size you choose....

Can someone help me with this...

Win2K server - I install drive image , it says to use Server Magic...

so i install server magic......and use the image app from it.

go into DOS to make the image , when it asks where to put the image...

It can only see a: drive ?

I have two other drives on the machine , but they are in fat32 .... is that why Server magic cant see the drives ?

and can only see a: ?

thanks....

any one got drive image pro to run on 2K server ?

ive used it many times on 98 ... and been able to save the image to other drives no problem

i have Drive Image 4.0 Pro.. and Win2k SP2 with NTFS fileformat.. does 4.0 Pro support NTFS??

how do i do to set up a bootdisk that can make a image of my C: drive (with Win2k "2 gb").. a image that i can burn to a 700 mb fisk (fors put it on a partition..

or maye someone can add me on iCQ (27000743) and help me..

thanks in advance..