Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wellerth

Barcode scanner compatibility

Hi group,

does anyone have any experience with using a barcode scanner (for EAN) with (any) linux system? If yes, can you post some relevant links please?

I'll be happy to post the result of my trials. As this is the crucial part of my decision for linux, I may well turn back to Window$ -- what I want to avoid ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Thomas Weller

I have had some limited experience.

I set up a few barcode readers {old RPS or somthing) running off w2k and suse 8.2

I am writing of Suse and reading off w2k. I will be trying to R&W off Suse this week or the first of next. Writing from Suse works great. I downloaded an opensource barcoad program that writes in many different fonts(formats). I'm sorry I dont have more but will post here when I do.

Regards

Quote:
I downloaded an opensource barcoad program that writes in many different fonts(formats).
Regards

Thanks so far -- what programare you using?

TIA,

Thomas

I am sorry. I seemed to have misspoke. The software I am using (Kbarcode) was downloaded with the SuSe 9.0 pro package. I upgraded via ftp from Suse 8.2 to 9.0. I suppose it is avalible with the k-desktop applications, however, I have not verified this.

I will be testing the PSC (bought from Matrixsurplus.com $49.95 new)handheld laser, with suse 9.0 today and will update post then.

Regards

Well good news I took the PSC scanner and the welch allyn st keyboard wedge that came with it and plug it into the keyboard ps2 slot, pluging my keyboard into the wedge and booted the Suse 9.0.

The scanner worked first try.....It took a second or too for the system to pick up the keyboard and scanner but she beeped before the system was fully booted....Plug and Play...Wow was not expecting that...Hope this helps.

regards

wellerth,

RiversEdge.com has barcode fonts, barcode scanners and some other products all fully compatible with Linux. The barcode readers only say Mac and Windows, but they work fully under Linux as well, for some reason though Linux was left out of the description.

Regards,

Steve