Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ODiN

Win2k Setup won't let me install!

I am trying to setup Windows 2000 on an Intergraph machine that was previously running NT Workstation. I am able to get to the screen that allows you to modify/create partitions, but it states that my hard disk is "new or has been erased, or that the computer is running an OS that is incompatible with Windows 2000." I tried booting up from floppy and formatting with FAT32, but I get the same message. Also, when I go to create a partition, it identifies the disk as "UNKNOWN DISK" and says that "setup must write some startup files to this "unknown disk", and that "this disk does not contain a Windows 2000-compatible parition. The hard drive is SCSI made by IBM... an 8.5GB disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Did you install the SCSI driver for the particular SCSI controller in the system? I mean ..you knwo that screen that says ..HIT F6 TO INSTALL THIRD PARTY SCSI OR RAID DEVICE

Yeah I did. Unfortunately the drive appears as "UNKNOWN". I also noticed another message on the partition screen, stating something of the sort that "there is no disk in the drive". Mind you this is a fixed drive, so I don't get what is going on.

It could be that the driver you installed for the SCSI controller might not be working correctly - I had this with my ATA100.

The problem with the removable disks and unknown disks could that Setup is not recognising the SCSI controller, and is falling back to a Zip drive or floppy drive as the only available places to install Windows.

Try using an earlier version of the drivers...it worked for me

AndyF

Another thought - I thought the 75GXP was an ATA100 hard drive, not a SCSI one...?

AndyF