Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Deviant

How To Activate Win XP 2462...

Hi guys!

Here is my problem...

I've installed Win XP Pro 2462 last week.

My computer is connected to LAN and I use a proxy server to get to the WWW.

When I start Explorer everything is working fine.I tried to activate the windows,but there is always a message

CAN'T CONNECT TO INTERNET,CHECK YOUR NETWORK SETTINGS -or something like that.

Could you advise me what is wrong ?

What will happen when I won't activate the XP ?

Thanx for you help

D.

More likely than not Activation uses a port that is not open on your proxy configuration. I don't have any idea what port Activation uses, so probably the best way to do this is to hook your computer directly to your internet connection and do the activation that way. After the activation is complete, you should put the machine back behind the proxy.

Thank you very much...

I think it will be problem to hook my computer directly to the internet,because all machines in our LAN use proxy.

I can't disconnect our server and replace it with my workstation frown

D.

Is that at an office or something? Maybe you can do it after hours... Your LAN would still be functional, but the internet would be down for a few minutes. Your only other choice is to get on the server and open up all the ports in the proxy and forward them to your box. This, and other compatiblility issues is why I dumped proxy and got a hardware firewall.

No it's not at an office,I have my computer in college.

And I don't have the access to the server room frown

And there is no other possibility to connect the computer to the network.

I'll try to ask our administrator,which ports are allowed in the proxy settings.

What do you think,what will happen after the 14 day activation period ?

D.

XP will stop working after 14 days if it's not activated. There are two other options - either call Microsoft's activation number, or apply the crack. Since you have a legal copy, it's probably easiest for you to call them.